Chick Popcorn

jessied1227

Songster
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
East Brady, PA
My chicks have turned into popcorn! I was down working in the kitchen this morning and was wondering what all the rucus was, and boy are they starting to hop around! I have placed some steel mesh over the top of my brooder box and I'm hoping that will make do until we get moved and I can get them something more permanent.

I'm noticing a lot of them are feathering out. What age do they usually begin to do this?

Thanks-
Jessica

dunno
sad.png

sorry i wish i could help but i do find with steel mesh if the holes are large enough they stick their heads out of the holes and get stuck (it happened to my cookie for the first time yesterday!!!!)

i wish i could help more but im sorry im only 11!!!

It seems like they start to feather out right away. I have a two and a half week old who has flight feathers (and knows how to use them now
barnie.gif
) and also has a little tail that looks more like a spoiler!
Mine do the same thing.... I'll hear all kinds of ruckus coming from their brooder, and when I go to investigate, they all look up at me like, "What?! We're just playing!"

LOL, exactly what happens to me. I get 13 pairs of little eyes peeking up at me all innocent-like.

I need to find a better watering system. I'm changing the water three of four times a day, it's all full of shavings and poop. I have this stand-alone system that refills itself as the level goes down.

Any suggestions?

Most breeds start getting their first real feathers after just a couple of days. Some people clip a wing to keep the chicks from flying all over. I've never done this myself; in my opinion they are like babies - they need to learn how to control all their body parts, and practice is the only way to do this! With one wing clipped they are even more spastic than usual!
Make sure you take justusnak's advice about raising the waterer.
wee.gif

Raised the water and so far, so good!

I personally don't like wing clipping at such a young age. I've raised parrots for years and never clipped wings unless the new owners of the babies required it. My little girl and I have fun with our "Popcorn Chickens."
big_smile.png

I still find it amazing to watch how fast they grow. Pretty soon I'll be building a coop!

Jessica

Back
Top Bottom