Chicken with terrible wound

Her lower belly looks enlarged possibly from water belly or a reproductive disorder, such as salpingitis. I would also recommend Hibiclens or chlorhexidene which can be found at Walmart in the bandaid aisle for about $10. You apply a small amount mixed with half water, and then rinse it off. Saline is also fine to use, but use the antibiotic ointment after and keep it open to air. A wire dog crate with food and water is a good way to separate her in view of the flock. Keep her away from flies with can deposit maggot larvae into the wound during warm weather resulting in serious fly strike. Scratch and peck feeds may not be the best thing for her. They tend to pick out the most appealing parts, leaving some of the added nutrients. When I tried one, they left the powdery parts in the feeder. I prefer a homogeneous all flock or layer feed, crumbles or pellets where each bite is well balanced.

I just switched to the 18% “animal feed”. I put neosporin on the wound last night and have continued to apply the vetericyn twice today already. I was moving the flock to their new much larger coop and run when I saw the wound yesterday. She is isolated in the smaller one now. She’s eating and drinking and seems comfortable. She laid an egg as usual.
The first time my chickens molted it freaked me out. I had one that was almost naked beak to toes. Then I had others that only lost a few feathers and still others that lost in patches that completely fell off in one area and when those were growing back, they lost feathers in other areas. Still I have some 2 year olds that have not molted yet, or if they did it was not noticeable. I have also had some of my summer babies molt the following fall. Each molt was different and they all molted at different times. They can molt at any time, although most prevalent in the late summer/fall and usually between 16-18 months. But it can happen sooner. Shorter days trigger the molting process.

Your feed is "Scratch and Peck" Layer pellets, 16% protein? If so, that is the bare minimum for healthy birds (it is commercial "industry standard" - they have determined the minimum amount of protein needed by birds used to mass product to get the most production at the lowest costs - 16% is where they landed). It works, it is just not optimal.

Most birds can benefit from a higher level of protein and if you have a rooster, he NEEDS, a higher level of protein. He can also get internal organ damage from the higher level of calcium in layer feed.

I feed mine a 20% all flock feed. Then I don't have to worry about getting more protein into them (via less nutritious treats) when they need it, i.e., at times of molting. I also don't have to worry about my rooster getting the additional protein he needs or too much calcium that he doesn't need. I feed them back their eggs shells as a treat (rooster is not interested in them) and give them free choice flaked oyster shells. They know when to eat more calcium. I don't do grit b/c my chickens free range all day at their leisure and can pick up grit from around the land. :)

Just some thoughts. Hope yous gal gets better quickly!
What brand of feed are you using? I am getting the chlorhexidine and also some Rooster Booster to hopefully help her while she’s healing.

Her lower belly looks enlarged possibly from water belly or a reproductive disorder, such as salpingitis. I would also recommend Hibiclens or chlorhexidene which can be found at Walmart in the bandaid aisle for about $10. You apply a small amount mixed with half water, and then rinse it off. Saline is also fine to use, but use the antibiotic ointment after and keep it open to air. A wire dog crate with food and water is a good way to separate her in view of the flock. Keep her away from flies with can deposit maggot larvae into the wound during warm weather resulting in serious fly strike. Scratch and peck feeds may not be the best thing for her. They tend to pick out the most appealing parts, leaving some of the added nutrients. When I tried one, they left the powdery parts in the feeder. I prefer a homogeneous all flock or layer feed, crumbles or pellets where each bite is well balanced.
She is eating, drinking, and laying normally. Other than her appearance how would I know if she has water belly?

What brand of feed are you using? I am getting the chlorhexidine and also some Rooster Booster to hopefully help her while she’s healing.
This is what I use. I pay up for the non-gmo simply because I wouldn't want to eat that stuff so I don't feed it to my chickens. I also buy the crumbles so that when I have baby chicks I don't have to go get a special feed for them, but they do have the same in pellet form. I watch Chewys for sales and buy at least $49 worth so I can get free 2 day shipping. Sometimes I can get it for as little as $19 for a 50lb bag.

Hope your girl is improving!

1716226013053.png

Back
Top Bottom