Experimental & other Hatch-a-long

I'll be honest I had completely forgotten Smokey was sitting on eggs. Which is why I was surprised to see chicks in the nest this morning. All but one have hatched and the last has pipped.
Now unfortunately more than half (silkies) have single combs. At this point I'm not sure if it's easier to restart my silkie flock or to try to breed it out. That's not a decision to make today, but I'm still a bit upset about how many chicks will have to be culled. There have been more toe faults this year as well. I'm not sure what's at fault there, as all parents have nice toes. If I end up continuing the flock, I'll only have a handful of keepable chicks this year.
The incubator eggs are in lockdown, due to hatch tomorrow.
Also we lost one of Chrissy's frizzle chicks to a dog.
Sorry to hear about the straight combs - that is so hard to figure out. I hate those undesirable recessive genes, they are so difficult to breed away from. Glad you have a few to keep though. And sorry about the frizzle chick that you lost, that is so hard!

Pictures of the older babies from Oakley and Chrissy. The 2nd photo is of the mystery chick. Looks standard sized, lavender, single comb. I wonder what breed or mix it is. Hoping she's a pullet.

3 of the incubator chicks hatched. Two cuckoo, one of which has feathered feet. One is from my bantam mix pen. Looks silver partridge maybe.

Attachments

• 20240518_200733.jpg
    20240518_200733.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240518_200945.jpg
    20240518_200945.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom