Gosling cant lift head or walk - help!

Arifox

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2024
Help!!
Went to put the birds away and found this gosling laying in the yard not doing too well. He/she has perked up a tiny bit after putting her under the heat lamp for a little while....but still can't lift its head and has a messy rear end.
Is this wry neck?? I tried holding her head to some water with electrolytes...didn't look like she was getting much down.

Gosling is 1 week old. Yesterday I noticed that he/she possibly had a messy bottom, but mamma goose would not let me get close enough to really look. Gosling seemed to be getting around and acting normal, so I didn't worry too much..

Anything else I can do immediately??
1000030978.jpg
1000030979.jpg
1000030980.jpg

They primarily free range. I sometimes put out a flock raiser feed for them to have free choice of. But I'd say 95% of their intake is free range
Considering that there’s a strong likelihood that a vitamin deficiency is involved, if you have a b vitamin complex and a liquid multivitamin start adding it to the goslings water.

A second possibility is that the gosling contracted a parasite due to a weakened immune system from vitamin deficiencies or just because. It could be a number of things but coccidia is a fairly common intestinal parasite and it’s fatal to small goslings. Coccidia can be treated with SMZ TMP “an antibiotic,” Toltrazuril or amprolium "corid.”
The tricky part is that corid can’t be administered if B vitamins are given any time during treatment as they counteract the effects and make the treatment pointless, and SMZ TMP can’t be given when extra potassium is being administered.

Pasty Butt can take them down quickly. Really common with goslings they have thick down. A warm soak on the butt can help to loosen them up. But might be a little plunged. Goslings have incredible down in that area it dost take much to plug them up.

Back
Top Bottom