How to place baby chicks with a broody hen?

NOW! I will say she is NOT!! I repeat not! Tolerating her flock mates around her chicks right now. I keep her in separated in a mobile coop in sight of the flock as they free range. I let her out for short periods but it’s best to let her and the babes have their own private digs I have found!
Within a flock it is good behaviour for a broody to protect the chicks from nasty behaviour from the other hens.
There are two ways of bringing up chicks with a broody. Separating as you choose or letting them work it out for themselves.

If you separate its more easy now and more difficult later. One day they do need to integrate. Try to prevent the other chickens from seeing the chicks as invaders, therefore I wouldn’t wait too long with integrating. I believe @rosemarythyme and @aart both know much about this subject.

I found integration with a broody is easiest when the chicks are stil young. Maybe 2 - 3 weeks old.
Important:
- Multiple feeding stations
- Acces to chick feed the whole day
- No acces to layer feed for the chicks
- Hiding places for the chicks
- Lots of space for the whole flock

If you separate its more easy now and more difficult later. One day they do need to integrate. Try to prevent the other chickens from seeing the chicks as invaders, therefore I wouldn’t wait too long with integrating. I believe @rosemarythyme and @aart both know much about this subject.

I found integration with a broody is easiest when the chicks are stil young. Maybe 2 - 3 weeks old.
Important:
- Multiple feeding stations
- Acces to chick feed the whole day
- No acces to layer feed for the chicks
- Hiding places for the chicks
- Lots of space for the whole flock
My experience is all with human brooded chicks. A broody is a completely different matter. Since this hen is being super protective the current set up should work for the time being, but yes at some point soon you're going to want her and the chicks out with the flock so she can integrate them into the flock before she weans them (which can be as early as 3 weeks), or else you're stuck doing it.

The above advice should work with integrating young chicks in general, so good to keep in mind.

Back
Top Bottom