Ideas for easy Homemade Nesting Boxes for Rabbits

Happy Camper

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Puerto Rico
I am fairly new to the rabbit world (2 yrs. aprox) and just now (after some small scale trials) began breeding them for meat. Although I had planned and did build a beautiful building w/ nesting boxes I was not able to use it for reasons that are not important and all my rabbits were expecting... So I had to move them to separate cages and come up w/ ideas to provide nesting boxes w/ things already available... Here are some pics w/ ideas just in case you find yourself in the same situation.

Please remember that nesting boxes should be stable, clean, protected from predators, rain, drafts and preferably put in a shady spot of the cage. Pics follow...

Hope they help
bun.gif

These are just some cement and garden blocks I found and made a nest. The floor in this cage in concrete so I put lots of hay. Menta had 8 bunnies yesterday and is her first litter. She did great pulling her fur and already separated the peanuts from the rest. They are doing great. This was our Valentine's gift.

Since this cage has a wire bottom I put a tile on the floor and as you can se cornered the nest using pretty much the materials I found around. This rabbit is also a first timer and is due next Sunday :)

This is a plastic planter before I filled it w/ hay and covered that spot of the cage w/ a dark towel to make it cozier. Lulu is small so she will fit really well in there... Also a first timer so I hope she does not decide to kindle outside the nest as one of my other first timer did last night. Luckily that one was in a concrete floor cage.

This is another idea I came up with. My hubby just cut three plastic buckets and after cleaning them you just have to secure them in the cage so they don't roll. If you corner them you probably don't need to cover the uncovered end. You can also cut them and connect them back together w/ both open faces up (kind of one on top pf the other) and their close ends to opposite sides... hope you can visualize it... You can also me a cut in a bucket leaving a bit of a roof. However I could not do that cause I raise huge Californians and they just would be too uncomfortable...

Love these ideas! Thanks for posting pictures of all of them, just got our first breeding pair- A rex doe and NZ buck so I'm trying to find some simple nesting box idea for larger breeds and some of these would work perfectly

Thanks for the post!

This is going to save me some money and time actually. The tile is a genius idea. I have tons of those lying around. My doe is due this weekend. Maybe take a look at the pics i upload later this week? Thanks!

I have wood nestboxes, which really help when it gets below zero. The wood insulates very well, but can be a bit hard to clean. The thickness of the wood depends on what temperature you plan on dealing with, but some nestboxes are so thin that the rabbits chew right through them.
02fc52970bc805692d88dbc420993ec8.jpg
This is what i use,but the wood on mine is a but thicker.

I am fairly new to the rabbit world (2 yrs. aprox) and just now (after some small scale trials) began breeding them for meat. Although I had planned and did build a beautiful building w/ nesting boxes I was not able to use it for reasons that are not important and all my rabbits were expecting... So I had to move them to separate cages and come up w/ ideas to provide nesting boxes w/ things already available... Here are some pics w/ ideas just in case you find yourself in the same situation.

Please remember that nesting boxes should be stable, clean, protected from predators, rain, drafts and preferably put in a shady spot of the cage. Pics follow...

Hope they help
bun.gif

These are just some cement and garden blocks I found and made a nest. The floor in this cage in concrete so I put lots of hay. Menta had 8 bunnies yesterday and is her first litter. She did great pulling her fur and already separated the peanuts from the rest. They are doing great. This was our Valentine's gift.

Since this cage has a wire bottom I put a tile on the floor and as you can se cornered the nest using pretty much the materials I found around. This rabbit is also a first timer and is due next Sunday :)

This is a plastic planter before I filled it w/ hay and covered that spot of the cage w/ a dark towel to make it cozier. Lulu is small so she will fit really well in there... Also a first timer so I hope she does not decide to kindle outside the nest as one of my other first timer did last night. Luckily that one was in a concrete floor cage.

This is another idea I came up with. My hubby just cut three plastic buckets and after cleaning them you just have to secure them in the cage so they don't roll. If you corner them you probably don't need to cover the uncovered end. You can also cut them and connect them back together w/ both open faces up (kind of one on top pf the other) and their close ends to opposite sides... hope you can visualize it... You can also me a cut in a bucket leaving a bit of a roof. However I could not do that cause I raise huge Californians and they just would be too uncomfortable...
Hi just a bit of advice rabbits should not have wire bottom cages and should have things to play on and have a bed wire flooring is bad for them and comes with a whole of health issues which will require a lot of vet appointments this is just some advice but please remove the wire flooring at least hope ur buns stay healthy

Back
Top Bottom