My silkie with regular feathering...Mixed

Mamadonna6

In the Brooder
May 4, 2024
Okay, well I got some silkie eggs from my Neighbor and decided to put in incubator abd hatch out of 8 eggs Only 4 made it to lockdown. Hatching started on 7 April 2024 3 Black and 1 yellow.
They are 1 day away from being 4 weeks, the biggest of them has regular wing feathers and I know my neighbor said she also had copper marans, is it possible a cross breed. I haven't seen what her chickens look like and at time really didn't care i just knew it had been 42 years since i had owned a silkie and really wanted to start breeding some. Some look like they my be frizzled i'm thinking by what I have been reading on here. thyanks

Could you send some pictures? Ussally if there’s solid feathers they are a mix but silkies do have some solid wing feathers so pictures would be helpful.
Welcome to BYC!

Here is a pic of the chick in question Colbalt. The other 3 are from same lady .The bigger chick in all 4 pic is Colbalt. I'm thinking 1 is a frizzle. They all have the black shank and 5 toes. I've been researching Silkies and still learning how hrd it is to sex them, my grandaughters say all the black ones are boys and the white is a girl...
Picture of Silkies For upload.jpg
Picture of Silkies For upload.jpg
Pic of Colbalts wing upload.jpg
top view of 3 black silkies upload.jpg

Attachments

• top view all 4 Upload.jpg
    top view all 4 Upload.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 3
IMG_4227.jpeg

So this chick might be a silkie Cross considering the amount of hard feathers in its tail and on its back. The others look like pure silkies. Could you take some side photos of them? They are all to cute. I don’t think you’ll be able to tell gender at this age :]

Sure 😄 but it might take a couple of days. I'm in process of transferring older chicks my white leghorn, cream legbars, Cuckoo Maran, Olive egger, Prairie Blue Bells and my Cuckoo Maran crossed with my Buffy Polish into brooder in pen. I've had my 4 Silkies in a brooder by themselves for fear of older chicks pecking them, they all were 🐣 same time. Also I'm on day 21 of 🐣 another setting of 41 🥚 so busy Chicky days.. 🥚 started peeping around Midnight so next couple days More babies.

Sure 😄 but it might take a couple of days. I'm in process of transferring older chicks my white leghorn, cream legbars, Cuckoo Maran, Olive egger, Prairie Blue Bells and my Cuckoo Maran crossed with my Buffy Polish into brooder in pen. I've had my 4 Silkies in a brooder by themselves for fear of older chicks pecking them, they all were 🐣 same time. Also I'm on day 21 of 🐣 another setting of 41 🥚 so busy Chicky days.. 🥚 started peeping around Midnight so next couple days More babies.
Cool.
Aw that’s awsome. Good luck with your hatch.

Back
Top Bottom