Name That Poop!! Please help identify the issue!!!

TriciaTKB

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2023
Hello All šŸ˜Š

I have a 14 month old hen that I was told is an Oliver Egger. She has been having very watery, white-milky looking poop for a while. She acts totally fine/normal, she eats fine, drinks fine and has laid a gorgeous blue egg at 11am every single day for the last 36 days (I keep track and weigh each egg my flock of 14 lays each day). She eats layer feed, has oyster shells available at all times and she free-ranges at least 6 hours a day. She is one of the lower girls in the pecking order, and I do see her being ā€œcorrectedā€ sometimes but it doesnā€™t seem like she is bullied.
Trying to see if I can get any advice on her poop. (No other gen has this type)
As a side note, I did have another hen that had a small amount of blood in her poop in January. Had a fecal test done at the vet and started treating the flock with SafeGuard immediately. None of them have had any issues since.
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 9500EEDC-0DE5-4D44-B0BF-2F304F09D133.jpeg
    9500EEDC-0DE5-4D44-B0BF-2F304F09D133.jpeg
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 8A14E3D3-9D79-4C65-89EC-24B3D06B84C3.jpeg
    8A14E3D3-9D79-4C65-89EC-24B3D06B84C3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • AA90BC1B-02BC-44F7-A610-27DDC2252739.jpeg
    AA90BC1B-02BC-44F7-A610-27DDC2252739.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Is it hot where you live? Is she drinking more water than usual? Is her crop emptying by early morning? Crop disorders can cause excessive thirst to try and pass food that is stuck. Her droppings look to have some undigested seeds in it. Does she have access to poultry grit? Have you considered worming her again with SafeGuard, and then repeating it in 10 days to get the worm eggs that hatch?

Is it hot where you live? Is she drinking more water than usual? Is her crop emptying by early morning? Crop disorders can cause excessive thirst to try and pass food that is stuck. Her droppings look to have some undigested seeds in it. Does she have access to poultry grit? Have you considered worming her again with SafeGuard, and then repeating it in 10 days to get the worm eggs that hatch?
It is not hot here in SE Indiana. Been in the 60ā€™s and 70ā€™s during the day and low 50ā€™s at night. She has not been drinking excessively. I have not fed them anything with seedsā€¦maybe something she eats during free ranging. I have oyster shells out and their coop and their run has sand (no straw or pine shavings).
I will check her crop tomorrow morning. I can try worming her again if that will help her. Sheā€™s probably had this poop issue for a couple of months.

Her crop was empty this morning

I had a hen once have this watery dropping every day for 2 years. She never actually laid an egg, but went into the next box every other day for a hour, and acted like she had laid. She was suffering from some tipped of reproductive disorder, possibly false layer syndrome. I offered her to a friend to butcher since I had a lot of extra cockerels and hens. So the dropping itself is not diagnostic, but other behavior or testing might help. When I lose a hen I usually do a necropsy, and sometimes find answers. The state vets do much more thorough ones with tissue samples and lab tests. Did your hen ever have normal droppings after the earlier worming? Is she eating well, active, alert, or do the others bully her from food? You could take her aside each day, and give her a small dish of mushy chicken feed with water, and a little scrambled egg. Probiotics, Greek plain yogurt, and a small amount of cottage cheese could help to firm up her poos. Let us know if anything changes.

I had a hen once have this watery dropping every day for 2 years. She never actually laid an egg, but went into the next box every other day for a hour, and acted like she had laid. She was suffering from some tipped of reproductive disorder, possibly false layer syndrome. I offered her to a friend to butcher since I had a lot of extra cockerels and hens. So the dropping itself is not diagnostic, but other behavior or testing might help. When I lose a hen I usually do a necropsy, and sometimes find answers. The state vets do much more thorough ones with tissue samples and lab tests. Did your hen ever have normal droppings after the earlier worming? Is she eating well, active, alert, or do the others bully her from food? You could take her aside each day, and give her a small dish of mushy chicken feed with water, and a little scrambled egg. Probiotics, Greek plain yogurt, and a small amount of cottage cheese could help to firm up her poos. Let us know if anything changes.
She has laid every single day for the last 37 days. She actually did a mini-molt this winter even tho she was not a year old yet. The others picked on her during this molt, but since thatā€™s been over for a few months they havenā€™t been as bad at all. I see her eat feed right along with the others with no problem. She also stays right along with the girls while they are out free ranging all day as well. I do give them all a mash every evening when they come in from free ranging. It has their layer feed, some oats, some wheat germ, some dried worms mixed with rooster booster vitamin water. Once a week I also put Greek yogurt in the mash.

Back
Top Bottom