Need help identifying what bantam mixes my babies are.

Helens_Hens

Chirping
Feb 14, 2022
I have been obsessively trying to figure out what my babies are. I have a girl who hatched several bantam chicks for me. She didn't match breeds or anything and all of her bantams are together so it was basically a mystery bag of bantam babies. I have 10 they are all 3 weeks old. I know she has Silkies, Cochins, OEGB, and I'm not sure what else she has as I haven't been able to ask. I have 2 black feather feet, 2 yellow possibly spangled feather feet, so I know they are part Cochin. None have 5 toes so I'm sure none are silkie. Can anyone give me any ideas? I'd love to know what they might look like. I know one of the mother hens is a black bobtail Cochin and I have a black bobtail with feather feet. The pics arent the best due to the red heat lamp. Some of the chicks are almost twice the size of the others, those are the Cochin X's. I think both black feather feet are Roos as well as 1 of the yellow feather feet. I do have a tiny black and gray chick that I'm curious about. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_20220414_133406479~2.jpg
IMG_20220414_133451376.jpg
IMG_20220414_123926346.jpg
IMG_20220414_123923458.jpg
IMG_20220414_124020456.jpg
IMG_20220414_133406479.jpg
IMG_20220414_124053610.jpg
IMG_20220414_124142183.jpg

If she keeps multiple breeds together they are mainly mixed breeds.
I saw no crests and you said none has 5 toes, so none of them in a silkie or silkie mix.
The feathered feet ones are bantam cochins or bantam cochin mixes.
I think I see a rose combed chick in the 4th photo, that one might be part sebright or even a pure one
Unfortunately to know better which mixes they are they should be much older, so the body shape can help

Just a general rule of thumb:

Silkie mixes will *usually* retain the crest and heavy foot feathers and 5 toes. They often have the darker skin. They rarely have the Silkie feathers. They will have some sort of walnut, pea, or rosecomb. That will be the offspring from the Silkie.

Cochin mixes usually retain the foot feathering, generally retain the yellow feet, unless bred to something else, will retain the single comb. The big droopy feathers seem to go away, and they take on more of a standard conformation if bred to standard (but I don't think you have that?)

Game bird mixes usually retain the drop wing game appearance, smaller size, unless bred to something else, will retain the single comb.

Now mixing all of those? That will be a bit hard. One thing to follow will be the comb type and 5 toes (as the above poster said). Most game and Cochin have single combs (though some rosecomb...follow the rosecomb). Single combs are recessive so to keep that you have to have a single bred to a single.

And yes, these are not breeds but mixes. It can be hard at time to guess what the mix is without seeing the parents or the egg...and even then the definition of mix means you get mixed results.

The are adorable and should be a lot of fun.

LofMc

I knew when hatched we didn't get silkies this round. I am picking up 9 more saturday that 6 of the 9 are silkie mix. I will post more photos as they grow. Maybe that will help identify. I'll also try to get some photos of all possible parents when I pick up the other chicks. But yes I agree with both of you for sure.

If she keeps multiple breeds together they are mainly mixed breeds.
I saw no crests and you said none has 5 toes, so none of them in a silkie or silkie mix.
The feathered feet ones are bantam cochins or bantam cochin mixes.
I think I see a rose combed chick in the 4th photo, that one might be part sebright or even a pure one
Unfortunately to know better which mixes they are they should be much older, so the body shape can help
Now about the Rose comb.... Are these 2 rose comb they aren't like the other combs I'm seeing in my chicks I call these 2 the twins cz they look so much alike.

Attachments

• Picsart_22-04-14_23-11-01-544.jpg
    Picsart_22-04-14_23-11-01-544.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Picsart_22-04-14_23-14-09-938.jpg
    Picsart_22-04-14_23-14-09-938.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 8
I can't see the second chick well, but the first chick in the photo looks to be rosecomb.

At this stage, a typical rosecomb is an indent with a raised horseshoe border with the luck running down the beak.

LofMc

I can't see the second chick well, but the first chick in the photo looks to be rosecomb.

At this stage, a typical rosecomb is an indent with a raised horseshoe border with the luck running down the beak.

LofMc
That's what I thought as well. They may be Sebrights. The 2nd chick looks identical to the first. Thank you 🙂

Back
Top Bottom