Pipd's Peeps!

So the last rosecomb hatched Sunday night. The others, five rosecomb and one Dusty was left. Two of the five rosecomb quit I would guess at draw down and the other three after the internal pip. The Dusty egg quit before or during draw down.

Also lost a silkie chick. I think Dr Girl friend may have injured it internally. When it went clear liquid came up. So she is in another box till I can get her and her chicks outside. Was going to move the one unfinished pen in to the main one and put her in there. It wouldn't fit through the door.🤦‍♀️

Wow pipdzipdnreadytogo, you sure have a lot going on! I hope things work out.

Haha, yeah, the chickens like to make sure I have plenty to do in a day, it seems 😅

So the last rosecomb hatched Sunday night. The others, five rosecomb and one Dusty was left. Two of the five rosecomb quit I would guess at draw down and the other three after the internal pip. The Dusty egg quit before or during draw down.

Yay on the little ones that made it! Sorry to hear about the quitters, but it sounds like you got quite a few babies in total from that hatch anyway. :jumpy

Also lost a silkie chick. I think Dr Girl friend may have injured it internally. When it went clear liquid came up. So she is in another box till I can get her and her chicks outside. Was going to move the one unfinished pen in to the main one and put her in there. It wouldn't fit through the door.🤦‍♀️

Wow, I wouldn't have expected her to attack other chicks! :eek: Darn about the pen not fitting!!

Haha, yeah, the chickens like to make sure I have plenty to do in a day, it seems 😅

Yay on the little ones that made it! Sorry to hear about the quitters, but it sounds like you got quite a few babies in total from that hatch anyway. :jumpy

Wow, I wouldn't have expected her to attack other chicks! :eek: Darn about the pen not fitting!!
Yeah. She would get close to the hardware cloth divider and kind act like she wanted to mother them but I found her on the other side slinging one around. :barnie

I have two more troughs coming and she is in the old brooder I built for now and unable to leave it as I put the wire top on it.

Yeah. She would get close to the hardware cloth divider and kind act like she wanted to mother them but I found her on the other side slinging one around. :barnie

I have two more troughs coming and she is in the old brooder I built for now and unable to leave it as I put the wire top on it.

Oh my goodness! :th Bad mama!!

She is a sebright and the more research I do the more I find out they are very game bird like.

I think I've heard that as well, that they have some kind of game in their background or something 🤔 Don't quote me on that!

The Sebright hens I had were feisty little bitties for sure! Some even crowed regularly :th

As far as what's up in my neck of the woods, Roxy's prolapse was not protruding as far as it had been last night, but she still seems to struggle to pass droppings because of it. I'm not honestly sure what, if anything, I can do about that. :hmm

This morning, when I went out to the coops, I found a mess to clean up in the chicken yard. I guess the egg eater was hungry without any eggs to get to, because it (or something, maybe not the same critter) dug up the ground all over, moved some boards and stepping stones, and even tore down the plastic sheeting from the rooster pens. Thankfully, that's only there to protect the boys from cold weather and we've been pretty warm lately, so no big deal there. I was planning to replace that this winter anyway because it's old and getting brittle. But still :barnie

Oh, and I woke up to peeping in the incubator!! One air breather so far! :wee

1716042299390.png

Oh my goodness! :th Bad mama!!

I think I've heard that as well, that they have some kind of game in their background or something 🤔 Don't quote me on that!

The Sebright hens I had were feisty little bitties for sure! Some even crowed regularly :th

As far as what's up in my neck of the woods, Roxy's prolapse was not protruding as far as it had been last night, but she still seems to struggle to pass droppings because of it. I'm not honestly sure what, if anything, I can do about that. :hmm

This morning, when I went out to the coops, I found a mess to clean up in the chicken yard. I guess the egg eater was hungry without any eggs to get to, because it (or something, maybe not the same critter) dug up the ground all over, moved some boards and stepping stones, and even tore down the plastic sheeting from the rooster pens. Thankfully, that's only there to protect the boys from cold weather and we've been pretty warm lately, so no big deal there. I was planning to replace that this winter anyway because it's old and getting brittle. But still :barnie

Oh, and I woke up to peeping in the incubator!! One air breather so far! :wee

View attachment 3835976
Woo hoo pips! And bad varmits!

I stayed up to late and ket thinking I was hearing chicks in the hatcher that I have off right now for cleaning 🙃.

Oh goodness, I do that to myself a lot! 🤭 Without the incubators running, it's quiet enough in my room to hear birds and squirrels chirping outside. I always have to sit there and listen like, holy-moly, how are there chicks peeping right now??

Back
Top Bottom