Questions! Different aged Chicks - Moving to Coop

ChicksandJacque

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2024
Ok, I have a mix of ages. 6 - 5 weeks fully feathered, 7-3 weeks, and 2- 1 week chicks. The 2 1 wk chicks are separated from the others. My coops ready and I'd like to start moving chicks outside, but I have questions. I'm confident the 5 week olds would be fine even without a heat lamp (once acclimated), but I'm concerned for the 3 week olds. Also, can I start turning the heat lamp off for the 3 week olds during the day?

I have a plan for moving them outside, but would love some advice.

It's 60-70 degrees during the day and 50 at night. I have a brooder built into my coop so I'm thinking of moving all but the 1-2 week old chicks outside into the coop with a heat lamp. I could make a cuddle box for the 3 week olds. I just hate to separate them now and then reintegrate later. Does this plan seem OK for those 3 week olds?
7C5C200E-6327-42F4-91A4-F0EE0B853EFB_1_102_a.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 8.16.27 AM.png

Last edited:
What we've done is use a Cozy Coop radiant heater. That way it's not heating up the area, but if they get chilled, they can go lean up against it. Those are extremely safe. We've got 3 of them now.

The 3-week-olds I'd worry about the most as that's too young for 50F without some source of heat for them. They should still be at around 75-80F or so.

You're saying that all of them are already together, less the 1-2week olds, correct? I would definitely do it, move them with a heat source large enough brooder that all can get heat and all can get away from heat. My heat source preference is a heating pad and ceramic lamp but whatever heat source you choose just make sure it's big enough for all of them. In my process 13 chicks would need 2 heating pads is why I mention big enough...... If I'm wrong and they're not integrated yet, I'd still move them all out but with a divider at first....

What we've done is use a Cozy Coop radiant heater. That way it's not heating up the area, but if they get chilled, they can go lean up against it. Those are extremely safe. We've got 3 of them now.

The 3-week-olds I'd worry about the most as that's too young for 50F without some source of heat for them. They should still be at around 75-80F or so.
Thanks. Yes that makes sense.

You're saying that all of them are already together, less the 1-2week olds, correct? I would definitely do it, move them with a heat source large enough brooder that all can get heat and all can get away from heat. My heat source preference is a heating pad and ceramic lamp but whatever heat source you choose just make sure it's big enough for all of them. In my process 13 chicks would need 2 heating pads is why I mention big enough...... If I'm wrong and they're not integrated yet, I'd still move them all out but with a divider at first....
Yes you’ve go it. I am worried about that heat lamp. I’ve made sure it’s secure and it has the safety sconce, but still worrisome. Thanks for the good advice.

Yes you’ve go it. I am worried about that heat lamp. I’ve made sure it’s secure and it has the safety sconce, but still worrisome. Thanks for the good advice.
Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers but my one answer is that you're smart to be worried about the red hot lamps. I do not prefer them unless I'm in Alaska with sub zero temps. Just not worth the risk when there are lower risk options, if you ask me......

Also, can I start turning the heat lamp off for the 3 week olds during the day?

It's 60-70 degrees during the day and 50 at night. I have a brooder built into my coop so I'm thinking of moving all but the 1-2 week old chicks outside into the coop with a heat lamp. I could make a cuddle box for the 3 week olds. I just hate to separate them now and then reintegrate later. Does this plan seem OK for those 3 week olds?
Yes the 3 week olds still need heat at night, but they likely won't use it during the day with those temperatures.

A heat plate, or heating pad w/o shutoff, or one of those radiant heat plates are all valid options here, so the younger ones can get warmed up at night if needed. They'll only need it another week at most anyhow.

You mentioned having a brooder built into the coop so why not put out the youngest bunch too? Integrating them could possibly be as simple as letting them out in a couple weeks if they have a chance to get used to the others during this time.

Yes the 3 week olds still need heat at night, but they likely won't use it during the day with those temperatures.

A heat plate, or heating pad w/o shutoff, or one of those radiant heat plates are all valid options here, so the younger ones can get warmed up at night if needed. They'll only need it another week at most anyhow.

You mentioned having a brooder built into the coop so why not put out the youngest bunch too? Integrating them could possibly be as simple as letting them out in a couple weeks if they have a chance to get used to the others during this time.
Oh thanks for the suggestion. I was just a little concerned the heat lamp wouldn't keep the little ones warm. It's getting in the mid 40s through the night this week. I think the two little ones are about 2-3 weeks old now. I'm going to move them out to the coop with a heat source in a couple of days. The others all seem to be doing fine. Thanks for the encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom