Recommended cut-proof, grippy, easy-to-wash, easy-to-manipulate, warm chicken processing gloves?

FunClucks

Crowing
Apr 8, 2022
North Alabama
Anyone have recommendations for chicken processing gloves that are grippy, cut proof (or at least cut resistant, I have really sharp knives - just touching something is enough to cut), easy to wash/clean (I wash my hands multiple times when processing chickens), allow me to keep a good hold of the bird and still pop out the lungs, grab bits of stuff to pull it out, etc. Also keep my hands warm, or at least not constantly wet and therefore cold. I only have access to the water from the hose to spray things down/wash my hands with, and it's been ice water lately. Only so much I can take of that.

The high yesterday was 40F when I started processing. I did two chickens outside, and at the end ice was forming on my cutting surface, so I figured it was time to stop. My hands are still chapped and red.

I'd link one but there was a wide range of prices.

Search chainmail gloves on amazon.
Thank you! Looks like those will take care of the cut proof part, and they seem to be washable. Would I put standard latex or nitrile gloves underneath them? Maybe thin cotton gloves under that near my skin? What I would I layer with to keep warm and keep my hands dry?

Thank you! Looks like those will take care of the cut proof part, and they seem to be washable. Would I put standard latex or nitrile gloves underneath them? Maybe thin cotton gloves under that near my skin? What I would I layer with to keep warm and keep my hands dry?
A combination like that should help keep warm and dry. I like that the steel won't soak up liquids and can be dipped in hot water to warm them up.

Anyone have recommendations for chicken processing gloves that are grippy, cut proof (or at least cut resistant, I have really sharp knives - just touching something is enough to cut), easy to wash/clean (I wash my hands multiple times when processing chickens), allow me to keep a good hold of the bird and still pop out the lungs, grab bits of stuff to pull it out, etc. Also keep my hands warm, or at least not constantly wet and therefore cold. I only have access to the water from the hose to spray things down/wash my hands with, and it's been ice water lately. Only so much I can take of that.

The high yesterday was 40F when I started processing. I did two chickens outside, and at the end ice was forming on my cutting surface, so I figured it was time to stop. My hands are still chapped and red.
I try not to process any birds when it's too cold out, but when I have to and it's just one or two I kill and pluck them outside and then finish them up inside in my mud/laundry room. I just bring in a bucket for guts, lay an old towel on top of the washing machine and the cutting board on top of that. It's too dangerous to use a knife when your hands are freezing. :(

I try not to process any birds when it's too cold out, but when I have to and it's just one or two I kill and pluck them outside and then finish them up inside in my mud/laundry room. I just bring in a bucket for guts, lay an old towel on top of the washing machine and the cutting board on top of that. It's too dangerous to use a knife when your hands are freezing. :(
I think I need a larger cutting board and work surface. I could probably part them out inside if I had a larger cutting board. Any favorites?

The CX I processed at 9 wks were 2-3x larger than any roaster I bought from the store. I use game processing knives which are super sharp, and you're right, it's dangerous to cut once my hands are too cold. Most of the knife work is in the parting out.

Back
Top Bottom