Scratch, crops and snacks

Since they like the scratch using a bit for training wouldn't be a bad idea. Give the bag a shake, pick a verbal call (mine's just "chook chook chook") and toss some scratch down. Do it 1-2x a day and before you know it they'll consistently start to come to you when they hear the bag or your call.

As far as veggies and such, mine mostly get whatever we don't eat: carrot greens, cauliflower leaves, stripped corn cob, things like that. Better giving it to them than putting it in the compost, and anything they don't eat will break down in the run which I can harvest later as garden soil.

Awe thanks! I bet we've made Nuthatched blush, LOL !!

Since they like the scratch using a bit for training wouldn't be a bad idea. Give the bag a shake, pick a verbal call (mine's just "chook chook chook") and toss some scratch down. Do it 1-2x a day and before you know it they'll consistently start to come to you when they hear the bag or your call.

As far as veggies and such, mine mostly get whatever we don't eat: carrot greens, cauliflower leaves, stripped corn cob, things like that. Better giving it to them than putting it in the compost, and anything they don't eat will break down in the run which I can harvest later as garden soil.
Training purposes! That never crossed my mind. As it is I’m out there saying hey chickados, come on chickens..hellloooo. Completely ignored of course.
and anything for garden soil, yes please!

Training purposes! That never crossed my mind. As it is I’m out there saying hey chickados, come on chickens..hellloooo. Completely ignored of course.
They won't ignore it if coming to you = yum, treats!
and anything for garden soil, yes please!
Not sure what type of litter system you're using, but deep litter is pretty much a slow compost system right under foot.

I harvested 1 cu yard of soil last fall:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/prepping-deep-litter-for-fall.1599199/

They won't ignore it if coming to you = yum, treats!

Not sure what type of litter system you're using, but deep litter is pretty much a slow compost system right under foot.

I harvested 1 cu yard of soil last fall:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/prepping-deep-litter-for-fall.1599199/
Oh wow!!! That’s great! Ok so don’t laugh eh you might as well. Right now I just started my compost about a month ago, and I’ve been (I can’t believe I’m saying this) cleaning out their coop and sifting it and putting the droppings in my composter with a big fork. But that deep litter method looks fantastic!

Oh wow!!! That’s great! Ok so don’t laugh eh you might as well. Right now I just started my compost about a month ago, and I’ve been (I can’t believe I’m saying this) cleaning out their coop and sifting it and putting the droppings in my composter with a big fork. But that deep litter method looks fantastic!
That sounds like a lot of work to me.
I just go dig out a bucket of compost from the chicken run whenever I need some for the garden.
I do also have a compost heap with things that I don't give the chickens (mainly the pine pellets in the cat litter trays). I don't put that compost on food crops, and I don't let the chickens have access to it.

I have compost bins too. And I do pick up surface poops from the run (and sift poop from the coop) each day (which goes in the bins). So nothing wrong with doing it that way. But plenty of poop mixes into the run litter, along with other organic matter, to generate good ol' "garden dirt."

The compost from the bins is just additional top dressing, very rich, that I can mix in where I need it. But doing a dual bin and deep litter approach keeps the odors under control everywhere and minimizes pest intrusion for me as well.

Back
Top Bottom