Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Three hours today. Warmish with the occasional spitty shower.
Fret got off her nest shortly after my arrival. It looks like an egg has hatched early. Not sure what happened here. It's possible Fret broke the egg.
I let her stay off the nest long enough to eat a little and have a drink; she had alread had a poop in the coop, and ushered her back to the nest in the hope that she might save the chick. I'll see tomorrow. I'm not going to interfere. If the chick is dead tomorrow I'll take it out and hope Fret continues to sit.
View attachment 3834347

It's the growing season so the chickens are confined to the allotment run; not the coop run, but the fenced area between their coop and the goose coop. On the plus side I've got an agreement to extend the the chicken coop run into the abondoned fruit bush plot. The bushes in the are well established and while the chickens may eat the low hanging fruit I think the bushes will survive.
View attachment 3834346
View attachment 3834348
Checking for an egg status report...

Are you thinking of just making their actual run bigger or planning a separation between the two spaces ? Could be useful in case you need to do some integration.
I may never get around to doing anything with it. What I wanted was a written agreement that I had the option to fence this area for a run extension. That's what they've agreed to. I will probably put some temporary fencing to join the two and just herd the chickens onto the plot.
The more places they can get to the more chance there is of finding good forage.
I can't keep a good enough watch on them on the allotments to ensure peoples plants don't get eaten. Mow in particular is a turn your head and shes gone type of hen.
It will be two spaces for now.

Warm, dry and mostly sunny. Three hours today.
I've seen one chick, it's black and grey. It was out of the nest box when I arrived. I put it back in with Fret. It scuttled to the back and I didn't see it again although I could hear peeping.
Fret is still sitting. Will she last till Sunday I wonder. She left viable eggs at the nest last time.:confused:
They've got chick feed and water in the nest box. I hand fed Fret a little food. She drank two of the clear plastic tubs of water in quick succession and had drunk half another when I refilled it before going home.

P5170763.JPG

I spent most of the time there weeding the allotment run, finding things to eat in the ground with Henry. We got a new dust bath area sorted and a couple of small compost piles to provide better bug digging later summer.
P5170760.JPG
P5170762.JPG
P5170764.JPG

Back
Top Bottom