Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

@gtaus , I wouldn't use those lag bolts on a critical connection. All that bending has weakened the steel quite a bit.

:caf I really don't make anything that needs a critical connection but point well made that bending that lag bolt has certainly weakened the steel. It's not worth risking your life to save a couple of bucks on used, straightened out lag bolts that need full strength for safety.

I'm thinking those lag bolts will be good for something like mounting a bench vise to a bench. Or some other type of simple project like that. I would never trust it for full strength.

I was mainly excited that pressing them in my bench vise got them straight enough to be used again. I did not think that was possible.

It was so nice taking apart the 2X4 pallet with T25 Torx head screws. I wish all pallets were put together with those screws. Took me almost no time to remove the screws with my impact driver. I had no broken boards, and those screws can be reused in another project. The screws are like new. No rust, etc... Very nice.

A few days ago I picked up a pallet made of all 2X4's and screwed together with Torx T25 head screws....

View attachment 3817116

With almost no effort at all, I was able to remove all the screws and take apart the pallet. I ended up with fifteen 2X4's - twelve 2X4's that were 40 inches long and three 2X4's that were 48 inches long...

View attachment 3817118

I was able to save 89 of the 90 3-inch-long screws to reuse in some future project...

View attachment 3817120

Those screws came out like they had never been used. I don't know exactly how much they would cost new, but for comparison here is a pack of 100 T25 Torx head screws for $16.00...

View attachment 3817121

Other than a few screws holes in the 2X4's, they are in great shape. The current price of treated 2X4's locally is over $5.00 per 8-foot-long piece...

View attachment 3817124

I did the math real quick and it worked out to $34.32 for the board feet of 2X4's I salvaged from that one pallet.

All in all, it was just about a $50.00 pallet of wood and screws - if new. That's a great find, I think.

lucky you! I have to dismantle pallets with twisted nails. it slows me down. at least I have got a few "motorbike" pallets that have good, new and good size wood. duck nesting boxes are my project for them.

The sun came out this afternoon for the first time in days! So, I ran outside to get some work done around the chicken run and the new raised beds.

First thing I had to do was setup up my cement mixer compost sifter...

1714613983203.jpeg

I wanted to do that first because I have filled all the new raised beds with the heavy hügelkultur logs and now I need to add an organic layer in those beds before the final topsoil/compost mix.

What you see in that picture is just me going around the chicken run fence and picking up all the compost litter that has spilled outside of the fence. I have about half of the finished compost wagon filled in that picture, but I ended up filling it to the top and then some before I was done for the night. Figure I got about 8 cubic feet of finished compost sifted in the black wagon just from the spillage around the outside of the chicken run fence.

My plan is to use the rejected compost litter in the gray wagon to use as that organic layer in the raised beds. It is mostly aged, rotted, but not yet fully composted leaves. That should make a nice organic layer for the hügelkultur raised beds.

Yesterday I mentioned that I salvaged some bent lag bolts and straightened them out. They had big heavy washers...

1714614701901.jpeg

1714614724633.jpeg

And I also salvage a lot of T25 Torx head screws from a pallet disassembly...

1714614787304.jpeg

It was mentioned that I should not use the lag screws that I straightened out for any critical connections. Well, I found the perfect use for one of the lag screws and washers. I used it to hold down the front end of the compost sifter...

1714614995139.png

I used some of those salvaged deck screws and scrap pallet wood pieces to lock in a rear wheel...

1714615177068.jpeg

Now the compost sifter does not wiggle around on the pallet wood platform. Very nice.

Here is a close-up picture of some of the leaves that I ran through the compost sifter...

1714615428300.png

You can see how nice the finished compost in the black wagon is. That's some great stuff. I will be using that to top off my existing raised beds.

I was going to make one or two more 2X4 foot raised beds to place alongside the chicken run fence. Unfortunately, I left the wood in that black wagon last night to use today, with the forecast of no rain overnight.

:tongue It rained all night and did not stop until early this afternoon. All my wood in that wagon was sitting in a pool of water. The wood was soaked and will take a few days, or longer, to dry out in the garage before I can use it in a new raised bed build. That was too bad.

Oh well, I got a better start today on the compost sifter instead. Probably a good idea to finish off filling the raised beds I have already built before making those last two half-sized raise beds for the chicken run fence line.

⚠️ Utility Wagon Chick Brooder

Today was new chick day! My order for delivery on Tuesday was pushed off until this morning, Thursday. Here is a quick picture of the newbies...

1714674411485.jpeg

This post is about how I use my 35+ year old tow behind the riding mower utility wagon for use as a temporary brooder. I have had a number of brooder setups over the years, but the following brooder setup using my utility wagon has become my favorite system.

Starting off with a side view of the old wagon...

1714674571368.jpeg

Yeah, that wagon should probably be painted this summer. Lots of rust on the side and paint flaking off. But just goes to show that you don't need to buy or build something brand new to use as a chick brooder.

Here is a picture of the back of the wagon up on blocks. I also have the front end up on those same blocks. Thats makes everything level and keeps the wagon from tipping down/up.

1714674831371.jpeg

Here is a close up of the wire top. This is actually a 2-for-1 setup. Yes, I use it as a topper for the brooder in this case, but all I have to do is flip it over, put it back on the wagon, and now I have a manual compost sifter to use later in the summer!

1714675058182.jpeg

The frame for that top/compost sifter is just salvaged/pallet wood banged together with 1/4-inch hardware cloth. That makes an excellent top for the brooder, and when used to sift compost, you end up with a very fine sifted compost - good enough for seed starting.

You may have noticed that I am still using heat lamps that I started off with over 30 years ago. They still work. I have had to replace a few bulbs over the years, but other than that, it's just stuff I have had forever.

One great advantage to using the hardware cloth compost sifter/brooder top is that if the heat lamps ever did fall off the wire chain, it would land on the wire and never get close to the litter inside the brooder. Since I have my utility wagon brooder set up in my attached garage, I don't want to start any brooder fires with those heat lamps!

Did you notice there is a remote thermometer inside the brooder in the beam of the heat lamp? I use that to monitor the heat from inside the house with the base station display. The heat lamps are suspended from above on a chain. I just use inexpensive carabiners to pin up the chain to get the heat lamp at my desired temps.

I start off with the typical 90-95F for the first week and reduce the heat by 5F every week. I just raise the heat lamp to reduce the temp inside the brooder. A few weeks from now, I will probably switch out the 250 watt heat lamp for a 125 watt heat lamp to save a little money.

The big thing for me is that I live in northern Minnesota and our nighttime temps are still getting down below freezing. My attached garage is sitting at about 50F right now, but that would still be way too cold for the chicks without heat.

Finally, my brooder litter is just wood chips I made with my small electric SunJoe woodchipper. You may remember that I used that chipper a few months ago to get rid of a couple 5-gallon buckets of pallet wood bits and pieces. It chipped up the wood bits pretty good, but it took too long for the amount of chips you actually make. I also chipped up some branches that fell on the ground over the winter.

Here is a picture of the inside of brooder showing the wood chips. I call it dry deep bedding. I will use that, fluffing it up every few days, and adding fresh chips maybe once or twice a week for the next 8 weeks. Then all those wood chips will be tossed into the chicken run to compost at the end of 8 weeks when I move the chicks into the main coop.

1714676187550.jpeg

Of course, that plan depends on how big the chicks get in those 8 weeks and how well the wood chip litter absorbs everything. This year I got the chicks about 4-5 weeks later than usual. So, if the brooder starts to smell because the outside temps are warmer, I will have to clean out and refresh the litter if needed.

For those interested in the small electric SunJoe chipper I mentioned, here is what it looks like...

1714676545504.png

Frankly, I would only recommend it for someone who just wants to chip up occasional branches (less than 1-3/4 inch round) that fall on the ground. It chips up the wood great when the blades are sharp, but they get dull in only a few hours of use. Then the chipping really slows down. Even with new blades, it's not a big, powerful machine and it takes a long time to make even a storage bin full of wood chips.

But I have a much larger gas powered 5-HP chipper that takes up to 3-inch round branches. That is just in another class both in performance and price. But I don't use that much anymore, either.

If I want wood chips these days, I just hook up my 4X8 foot utility trailer to the pickup and go to the county landfill where I can load out my trailer with free wood chips in about 20 minutes. It would take me hours and hours, if not days, to chip up that much wood even with my big gas chipper.

:tongue Of course, I bought both my chippers long before I ever learned that I could get free wood chips at the landfill.

:clap Having said that, my small electric woodchipper will be perfect to chip up some branches to make fresh wood chips for this brooder. I only need to chip up small amounts of branches for a weekly top off.

:caf I guess the only pallet projects I will be doing for the next 8 weeks will be projects I can do outside. It's cold and windy today, with more rain in the forecast. Looking forward to warmer days soon. Later...

Last edited:
I hate when they say no rain or frost at 9pm and by morning they are wrong. Can't predict the future 12 hours in advance, even with all the fancy radar, computers and half a dz different models.

Yep, no rain forecasted for today, either, except if I walk outside to my backyard to get some lawn work done! Started raining early this afternoon and continues with a light rain this evening. Everything is turning a nice dark green outside, so I don't want to complain too much.

:lau Incorrect forecasting days in advance is one thing, but when you check the weather app and it tells you no rain today - when it is raining outside in real time - then I really wonder how good those weather apps are.

Probably better setting up a weather forecasting stone station...

1714701546890.png

At least the weather stone is accurate in real time!

Back
Top Bottom