Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Some are in denial. Some assume it won't affect them and theirs and don't care what happens elsewhere. Some will even create natural havoc by targeting their enemies' natural environment (blow up a dam, poison the water etc.). Some think the tech bros will save the planet with smart solutions (how's that going where you live, wherever you are? mostly hot air/hype here). Some are incorrigible optimists. Some want to let nature take its course. Some are corrupt and will do anything for money. And some don't care what happens after they've got whatever they can get for themselves out of this life.

In my experience most people think it won't happen to them, until it does. And it's always harder to get people to take preventative measures than to take a cure, even if the latter is much more brutal than the former. It's people's instinct to ignore possible undesirables, versus having to deal with the then unavoidable.
Clever thinking. You should be an important politician /gov advisor instead of retiring.
Now that last point is something I can totally relate with.
Not thinking about what will happen if a male chick does not get along with the adult rooster or hoping having consolidated a third of the property 's fence will stop the boar from destroying the garden come to mind 🙄.
Good idea to live a life away from the stupid people in this world and only relate to a few hermits, chickens 🐓 and wild pigs 🐷. Maybe one day I buy a property somewhere at the edge of the world to follow your footsteps.

Clever thinking. You should be an important politician /gov advisor instead of retiring.

Good idea to live a life away from the stupid people in this world and only relate to a few hermits, chickens 🐓 and wild pigs 🐷. Maybe one day I buy a property somewhere at the edge of the world to follow your footsteps.
Sadly the problems will have an impact everywhere. I confess I am quite pessimistic about it all.
I am also much closer to the end of my life than the beginning and I find my attitude increasingly detached.
Not my problem.
I am not proud of that, and I strive to ensure that my personal impact on earth is not too negative. But it is how I cope.

Sadly the problems will have an impact everywhere. I confess I am quite pessimistic about it all.
I am also much closer to the end of my life than the beginning and I find my attitude increasingly detached.
Not my problem.
I am not proud of that, and I strive to ensure that my personal impact on earth is not too negative. But it is how I cope.
Sorry all. I didn’t mean to be a downer.
It is just my way of coping.
I am probably still more active than the majority of the population, but the reality is that I will probably die long before the worst from a climate perspective, and I am very content in my introvert cocoon with my cats and my chickens and my fruit trees.
Sorry again. Please resume normal programming!

It’s decreasing rapidly in my country. Several wise politicians stopped after the last term because of harassments and personal threats. Stupid narcissistic /populist politicians came in return.

The/some people became more grim during the corona pandemic. More and more people don’t want to believe the smarter politicians, but prefer to listen to the hollow promises and the rhetorics of the populists.

I feel as if the Netherlands isn’t my country anymore. I truly believe half the country is doomed to flood one day and the people who live there are like ostriches. Looking away.
Near Rotterdam they are building a large new residential area to solve the housing shortage in an area that is 5-6 meters below sea level.
The new gov has the plan to increase the max speed levels on the highway to please the shortsighted car owners. They plan to stop facilitating many green projects in favour for the fossil industry.
It makes me very sad and want to get away from it all.
In France when I was young, people from the Netherlands were seen like the green people in Europe, with the germans. It's very sad it has turned out like this, and when you feel like a stranger in your country. But maybe in a year or two people will realise populism can't keep it's promises ?

(Aragon, a french communist poet, wrote in 1945 while France was occupied a book of poems called "En étrange pays dans mon pays lui-même", which badly translates as "In a strange country in my country itself".
Not my problem.
Sorry all. I didn’t mean too be a downer.
It is just my way of coping.
I am probably still more active than the majority of the population, but the reality is that I will probably die before the worst from a climate perspective, and I am very content in my introvert cocoon with my cats and my chickens and my fruit trees.
Sorry again. Please resume normal programming!
Yes, I am the usual downer here. You and Perris are supposed to remind us that what matters is to be a good person in every day life 😁. And I think we all agree that just feeling bad doesn't get anyone anywhere.
Do you remember this post ? ( @Sally PB please forgive me for quoting you out of the blue). It's how I feel some days- paralysed by guilt. Not very helpful!
I'm 61. I have no children. The worst of what is (probably) to come will affect those who are younger than I. I hope I don't live to see it.

I don't know if what I do makes things better, but I do what I can to try to NOT make things worse.

On the last day of a biology class in college, the prof (normally an easy going, happy guy) was in a terrible mood, or so we thought. His last lecture was about what we were leaving for the next generation. His last statements were from what would be our children's and grand children's perspective.

SLAM of the hand on the lectern. "You knew! YOU KNEW! And you did (SLAM) nothing (SLAM) about it!"

You could have heard a pin drop.

Tax:
View attachment 3539968
I was Not ready for the chicken drama today.

Youtube deleted this, so I hope BYC is more tolerant.
What happened?
IMG_20240518_101954.jpg

IMG_20240518_102803.jpg

IMG_20240518_102034.jpg

IMG_20240518_102825.jpg

For the first time since Gaston overtook him, Théo stood his ground and attacked.
In retrospect, Lilly has been crated in the woodshed for three days, where Théo spent a lot of time, and since Piou-piou was not well we let her stay outside the chicken yard with Théo. So Théo must have believed he had gained two hens and a new territory...and when he saw Gaston dustbathe with both Piou-piou and Lilly, he couldnt take it.

I didn't have the gut to let them fight. I separated them a minute after the video. Théo got half a wattle torn off but no damage. I imagine it will start over.

Then this afternoon there was a thunderstorm and Piou-piou was so unwell I carried her to her roost. Théo went to roost next to her and he kept pecking at her. I'm beginning to think I will end up eating him ! (Lousy joke).
IMG_20240518_155948.jpg

I feel so helpless. Crop and poops are normal, She eats and she lays normally. She has difficulties moving and she sleeps standing up. Her crest is turning black and her face is very red. The only thing I haven't managed to check is her mouth because she struggles.

He lost a piece of wattles but he thinks that makes him look macho 🙄.
IMG_20240518_142655.jpg

Sweet Lilly ate the semolina with the meds with no issue. There is a big black scab on her hole now so it's hard to know how it's healing but she feels great to be back with the chickens. She now stands on the towel waiting for me to disinfect her from underneath.
IMG_20240518_095922.jpg

IMG_20240518_165448.jpg

Back
Top Bottom