Can ivermectin absorb through feathers if you can't apply to skin on a goose?

Heritagegrovefarm

In the Brooder
May 3, 2024
I have used in the past on a sick goose after a fox attack. He showed severe signs of worms. It worked but I'm able to handle him. I have a flock that came with my farm that I can't get hands on with out severe being mauled unless their fighting then I just jump in!. Have 1 goose showing signs of worms. If I can get close enough to squeeze bottle spray some on her will it absorb? I am planning on grinding up safeguard to add to feed as a prevention for flock.

I doubt it. Their feathers have oil on them which would repel anything wet.

I used it once on our chickens for SLM (scaly leg mites) and separated their feathers.

Can you get to them at night when it's easier? That's how we did it. We waited until they all were in the coop and couldn't really see us. Two people help do this. One holds the bird, the other parts the feathers and applies the drops.

I have used in the past on a sick goose after a fox attack. He showed severe signs of worms. It worked but I'm able to handle him. I have a flock that came with my farm that I can't get hands on with out severe being mauled unless their fighting then I just jump in!. Have 1 goose showing signs of worms. If I can get close enough to squeeze bottle spray some on her will it absorb? I am planning on grinding up safeguard to add to feed as a prevention for flock.
maybe get a giant net to catch a goose and then kneel/squat over the goose to hold it down while you apply the ivermectin? i am able to catch mine at night but they are familiar with me. i give them dewormer such as valbazen or safeguard by syringe. got my fingers bit a little but not too bad

maybe get a giant net to catch a goose and then kneel/squat over the goose to hold it down while you apply the ivermectin? i am able to catch mine at night but they are familiar with me. i give them dewormer such as valbazen or safeguard by syringe. got my fingers bit a little but not too bad
Yes I agree with you. Just unable Today to get the things everyone is suggesting. Hoping I can help now. I will try again at lockup to get my hands on her. Thank you.

Update, everyone abandoned her and left her in my spring at feeding time. So, put the rubber boots on and grabbed a large towel. Was able to catch her. I could only reach upper part of neck by myself so I put some ivermectin on her and got her back to her pen without trying to cause her anymore stress. My only choice today to try to save her without a wait until I can get into town. This morning she's doing a little better and I'm going to just keep them in today so she can rest. Spoil them with fresh greens and start sliding in some safeguard. I know I won't always win in my battle with illnesses with them but I will always try with any means. Thank you everyone and I will keep you posted. And P.S. when I make it to farm store I will stock some of your suggestions for my 1st aid kit.

Back
Top Bottom