Chickens belly red and irritated

When my hens had mites, I could see them jumping in the nesting boxes. I used diatomaceous earth (food grade) and sprinkled it in the nesting boxes and all around the coop and then gave them a dust bath by getting a squeeze bottle and spraying the dry powder under their wings and bellies. I did it once every few days for 10 days or so.
The patch to me looks like the beginning of going broody. You can tell because the hen will spend all day in the nesting box (And her feathers will be in there too-feathering her nest) The best way is to take her out of the nesting box and drop her on the floor. If she doesn't move/run away, she's broody. If she stands and then puffs up, she's broody. Only the change of weather (or her mind) will get her out of being broody. She'll want to sit on the eggs all day (and all of the eggs) She'll get more moody during this time too. Hope this helps!

Yes, I tried all of those and it did not work
I am able to see the pics fine. They opened right up on my phone. I screenshot them and maybe they'll upload that way for you others be able see?? Not sure why red tho sorry

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240509-132235.png
    Screenshot_20240509-132235.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240509-132244.png
    Screenshot_20240509-132244.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
When my hens had mites, I could see them jumping in the nesting boxes. I used diatomaceous earth (food grade) and sprinkled it in the nesting boxes and all around the coop and then gave them a dust bath by getting a squeeze bottle and spraying the dry powder under their wings and bellies. I did it once every few days for 10 days or so.
The patch to me looks like the beginning of going broody. You can tell because the hen will spend all day in the nesting box (And her feathers will be in there too-feathering her nest) The best way is to take her out of the nesting box and drop her on the floor. If she doesn't move/run away, she's broody. If she stands and then puffs up, she's broody. Only the change of weather (or her mind) will get her out of being broody. She'll want to sit on the eggs all day (and all of the eggs) She'll get more moody during this time too. Hope this helps!
Good to know. Kind of would like one of my buffs or barred rocks to go broody (yes don't NEED more chickens=I LOVE the chick stage lol) but not holding my breath.

I have seen a similar picture where the hens had roosts made of raw pine boards. It turned out that the pine resin was sticking to the feathers where the hens sat for the night, causing them to be pulled out. The owner either painted the roosts or used a different kind of board, which solved the problem.

I can see your photos. I would check the base of their feathers near that poky tip by the tail for mites. They may be pulling feathers due to parasites. Or if you’re not finding the feathers they’re pulling they may be eating them to get more protein.
Okay, thank you I looked for mites and did not see anything. What is a good way to look for parasites? If they are eating their feathers for protein, what should I be giving them? Right now, I am feeding them Country Companion Layer Pellets and then they are eating grass. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom