DIY Coop and Run -- Design Feedback

Before its too late, remove the blocking in between the rafters for better ventilation. Those holes drilled and are not sufficient.
That’s just passive ventilation for the winter, to allow humidity to escape, akin to soffit vents. I am reluctant to go with just hardware cloth between the rafters because of the risk of hard rain getting in.

Should I drill out more of the rafter blocks?

There are also large airflow windows on three sides of the henhouse.

I worked well past sunset today, trying to get the henhouse ready to house the birds for a few days of being locked in staring tomorrow night. (Fingers crossed)

The roofing is coming along nicely (I used 95 self tapping neoprene backed screws so far… I think I need at least 200 more. Plus 14 more furring strips. This is not the roofing I ordered from Lowes, but it’s what they delivered after three weeks of delay without explanation; the installation process is different than I’d designed for, but I’m going with the flow)

IMG_7645.jpeg

The side and rear windows are framed out and have hardware cloth applied. I’m borrowing a trick from Carolina Coops to keep them propped open.

IMG_7646.jpeg

IMG_7643.jpeg

My fifteen year old framed out the front clean out door and my 12 year old helped me frame the bottom of the nesting box as the sun set.

IMG_7647.jpeg

Sooo much work to do, still.

That’s just passive ventilation for the winter, to allow humidity to escape, akin to soffit vents.
Helps in summer too.
I am reluctant to go with just hardware cloth between the rafters because of the risk of hard rain getting in.
Fascia would help with that.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/
1717586246715.png

Should I drill out more of the rafter blocks?
Would be a good idea.
There are also large airflow windows on three sides of the henhouse.
You're not worried about rain getting in those?
You could also add a large opening in the coop wall that's protected by the run roof.

Packing it in a little early tonight, due to thunderstorms. I had hoped to have the hand button up by tonight, but it’s not gonna happen.

I did manage to build and attach the nesting boxes, put a second coat of paint on the floor, and the final piece of roofing over the hen house. I also went and got a large sheet of linoleum floor and dropped by Carolina Coops (which I did not realize was only 20 minutes from my house) for three bales of hemp, and sneak a close-up view of their model coop.
IMG_7663.jpeg
IMG_7667.jpeg

I think you should check out the detailed architectural renders and building plans I posted in the first page of the thread.
One thing I learned early in my drafting career:
Just because it can be drawn, doesn't mean it should be built. ;)
Tho the Carolina Coop is beautiful and can be a carpentry testament, there are some missing attributes that can greatly enhance keeping chickens.

I guess you really didn't want any feedback, as your thread title states.

Last edited:
One thing I learned early in my drafting career:
Just because it can be drawn, doesn't mean it should be built. ;)
Tho the Carolina Coop is beautiful and can be a carpentry testament, there are some missing attributes that can greatly enhance keeping chickens.

I guess you really didn't want any feedback, as your thread title states.

I’m going to try and defuse this.

I was simply suggesting that some of your questions would be answered and your feedback would be more helpful by looking at my design before providing feedback.

As for Carolina Coops, I’m not copying their design, but I am borrowing some features. I agree with you that some of their “features” are head scratchers and that some of their choices are more aesthetic than functional.

Which is why I also listed a litany of other design inspirations and reviewed dozens of different coop builds (including yours) before drafting a single line in SketchUp.

I do appreciate your feedback. And I’ve been making running changes as I have built my coop, based on peoples feedback. And I appreciate that your passion and frustration ultimately comes from a place of caring about the welfare of chickens. I promise I am deeply invested in the health and safety of my flock. Part of the impetus behind actually raising chickens is that I want to nurture life in my backyard.

Now for the update: I had hoped to get all the sheathing up and move the girls into the henhouse last night, but the weather and my tool batteries did not cooperate.

The framing is done and now I am in the process of putting the siding up today.
image.jpg
IMG_7677.jpeg
IMG_7676.jpeg
IMG_7673.jpeg

Last edited:
I decided to bring in some help to get the finishing work done.

IMG_7684.jpeg

My kids helped me get the siding up, lay some inexpensive vinyl flooring, cut roosting bar brackets out of pvc trim.

IMG_7685.jpeg
IMG_7688.jpeg
IMG_7690.jpeg

I incorporated two small planks from the flat pack chicken coop we originally bought to house our flock (ha!) to fill the gap in the nesting box door.
IMG_7693.jpeg

We moved the girls into their new digs shortly before sunset.

IMG_7699.jpeg
IMG_7700.jpeg

This weekend will be about finishing the run, painting the siding, installing the solar power system, glazing the windows, and building the watering rig. Plus some planting.

Turning off their night light soon…
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom