Duck attacked by eagle, need help

should i suture her up?

• suture

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no suture

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i have bacitracin, but not much else. need to pick up more if im going to bandage her for a week. i will take pictures before we bandage her for reference. she seems to be doing okay. i think she is lonely. but the childrens motrin helped her sleep, i could tell that much at least.

thanks again for the reply.
we managed to bandage her up with some bacitracin and gauze. im just worried about her eating and drinking. she is in a kennel with an electric blanket on top to keep her warm, but not hot. with water and food. tomorrow before i take off the bandage and clean the wound, i am gonna let her see the other ducks through the kennel. i am hoping it will up her spirits.

i got some much better photos.

Normally you wouldn't wrap/bandage a wound. Leave it open to the air and just keep it cleaned and your ointment on.

It looks like you've done a good job wrapping it. If you feel you need to wrap/cover the wound for her daily outside visits, that should be o.k.

Last edited:
Is she eating and drinking? she looks alert .
@triforcemack any update on your duck?

She is surprisingly alert and aware, i think the worst is over. she seems to be almost herself again. although the wound does hurt, she seems to be doing better about it today. she is also surprisingly hungry, but tends to eat more when she has company.

Normally you wouldn't wrap/bandage a wound. Leave it open to the air and just keep it cleaned and your ointment on.

It looks like you've done a good job wrapping it. If you feel you need to wrap/cover the wound for her daily outside visits, that should be o.k.
i am following this articles advice on cell migration. since the wound is too large to be stitched.

https://shagbarkbantams.com/treating-wounds-and-injury-in-backyard-chickens/

it says to keep it moist, but prevent scabs from forming, so that the cell migration can occur. aswell as to use a bandage as a sort of second skin during interim healing.

thanks to both of you for your interest. i think she is gonna make it, however her poop is now a brightish green, which worries me.

Back
Top Bottom