The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

The earliest crower I ever had was about 14 weeks old. I had 5 different bantams breeds / about 17 cockerels from hatchery eggs over the past 10 years. About ⅔ left before they started to crow. 2 stayed long enough to fertilise some eggs.
Unfortunately the ones I kept, all became too loud and didn’t keep their beak shut early mornings.

I've found that most cockerels go throught a constant crowing phase, that (most) grow out of. The decibels they reach is not something I've found to be controllable

I've found that most cockerels go throught a constant crowing phase, that (most) grow out of. The decibels they reach is not something I've found to be controllable
I need to control the dB in the morning (before 8.30 and 9.30 in the weekends). Therefore I gave away all my cockerels until now.

This is the first time I try to keep a cockerel in a separate and dark cage with a his own automatic door. A little bit further away from the people who get annoyed by the crowing. I only can have a rooster as long as nobody complains.
IMG_4907.jpeg

Tintin and his stil caring momma Pearl.

I need to control the dB in the morning (before 8.30 and 9.30 in the weekends). Therefore I gave away all my cockerels until now.

This is the first time I try to keep a cockerel in a separate and dark cage with a his own automatic door. A little bit further away from the people who get annoyed by the crowing. I only can have a rooster as long as nobody complains.
View attachment 3835876
Tintin and his stil caring momma Pearl.

Let's hope Tintin works out for you, then!

8 WEEKS?! Ummmmm that's WAY too early for me. Even Lady Gaga was older when he crowed! I'm not so sure on that hypothesis either, but doesn't hurt to theorise
The earliest crower I ever had was about 14 weeks old. I had 5 different bantams breeds / about 17 cockerels from hatchery eggs over the past 10 years. About ⅔ left before they started to crow. 2 stayed long enough to fertilise some eggs.
Unfortunately the ones I kept, all became too loud and didn’t keep their beak shut early mornings.

Oh wow, 8 weeks seemed about average just from my experience! I'm actually surprised at how late y'all are having them crow! :eek: Must be a breed difference? I've had Cochins, Easter-eggers (bantam and large fowl), Dorkings, Old English Game bantams, Marans, Silkies, Barred Rock bantams, Orpingtons, a few stray random ones like the Brahma I posted, and some mixes. I feel like most of them started crowing in the range of 6-8 weeks, with some earlier and some later.

I have 2 about that stage right now 🤣 yeah, pretty rough looking :rolleyes:

The ones that feather in like that are such hot messes 🤣 I thought he was never going to feather in properly, he was half-naked for so long!

I've found that most cockerels go throught a constant crowing phase, that (most) grow out of.

My Easter-hatch* Cochins are in that phase now. :rolleyes: Sounds like someone's choking on one of those party blower things in the coop every morning.

*The Easter we celebrate in the U.S., that is, so they're about 7 weeks old right now.

Oh wow, 8 weeks seemed about average just from my experience! I'm actually surprised at how late y'all are having them crow! :eek: Must be a breed difference? I've had Cochins, Easter-eggers (bantam and large fowl), Dorkings, Old English Game bantams, Marans, Silkies, Barred Rock bantams, Orpingtons, a few stray random ones like the Brahma I posted, and some mixes. I feel like most of them started crowing in the range of 6-8 weeks, with some earlier and some later.

The ones that feather in like that are such hot messes 🤣 I thought he was never going to feather in properly, he was half-naked for so long!

My Easter-hatch* Cochins are in that phase now. :rolleyes: Sounds like someone's choking on one of those party blower things in the coop every morning.

*The Easter we celebrate in the U.S., that is, so they're about 7 weeks old right now.

I've never kept one of the breeds you have/had, the closest I've come to doing so is a generational silkie mix that crowed at 6 months old or so. That's pretty standard for my birds. Lady Gaga crowed at 12 or so weeks, his sons crowed at around the same time. That's early for me. My standard range is 6-7 months, maybe 5. I've had birds crow at 32 weeks (8 months). I guess it must be a breed thing, can't think of something else (I've had mix breed bantams, mix breed silkies, LOTS of LF mixes, serama, Tsouloufates, Aseel, yeah I think that's about it when it comes to breeds of males I've owned. Females are a different story).

You should've heard Big Red's early crows. Boy were they awful!

Back
Top Bottom