The Wally-Gee Bee Journey šŸ

Most of the brood usually is centered with the cluster keeping it warm. I take a frame of foundation from the outside and place it left and right of the center most of the cluster. They will not leave brood and start to draw out comb quickly for centered laying space for the queen keeping the brood centered and easier to tend and keep warm. Not a good practice if night temps drop. I like a consistent 50 Degrees and above for this. It has also worked for me during derth with syrup feeding but not as fast. The Queen maybe the Queen but comb is KING!! :old
I did some checkerboarding as well to get those pesky outside deep frames drawn out. I have zero drawn comb on my medium frames, so itā€™s all a fresh start up top. One box has a queen excluder and the other does not. Not intentional, but one was all I had. Iā€™m very curious about the outcome of this setup. Brood in the super? Comb drawn out quicker? We shall see.

I did some checkerboarding as well to get those pesky outside deep frames drawn out. I have zero drawn comb on my medium frames, so itā€™s all a fresh start up top. One box has a queen excluder and the other does not. Not intentional, but one was all I had. Iā€™m very curious about the outcome of this setup. Brood in the super? Comb drawn out quicker? We shall see.
I have plenty of medium comb, but as you said those out side deeps are always the last slowest draw, so we push 'em with checker boarding. They'll need those deeps for their winter stores.

These guys in south Louisiana are already pulling honey supers because of the massive privet flow. Theyā€™re extracting honey and putting supers back on for the talo flow, which is supposed to be even better than the privet flow. Not having that late freeze like last year has made a huge difference! If I wasnā€™t dealing with brand new frames and foundation I might be having the same ā€œproblemsā€ as Mr Ed and World Famous Mike Barry. I wonā€™t be greedy though. One harvest will do nicely šŸ˜

We have lots of trees blooming right now. Redbud is done, hawthorn is just about done, cherry is coming on strong.

Do bees like catalpa? We have a big one, and several little ones are coming up around it.

We have lots of trees blooming right now. Redbud is done, hawthorn is just about done, cherry is coming on strong.

Do bees like catalpa? We have a big one, and several little ones are coming up around it.
From what I read, the bees love catalpa. Thereā€™s several in the pasture beside my sisterā€™s house where the bees keep coming back year after year. So, there may be something to it.

Back
Top Bottom