Time for more chicks! Hatch-a-Long!

Pics
I agree. I go there for pullets only (and food of course) as my local hatchery is over an hour away.
yeah, I bought 3 Rhode Island Red pullets recently......... it turns out, the only pullet escaped one night, and probably got snatched by my local Bald Eagle. now that the other two are older, they are clearly boys :/

@ElfenLied89 oh my gosh, what the heck!?! You've got to find out what's taking them!!!!! Can you set up the camera tonight and put some chick feed or some raw meat in there to see if it comes back?

Its a solar panel camera. Best bet it's on like Donkey Kong tomorrow. I'm gonna set up the brooder to where what or who it is hears the peeps and comes to investigate. My brooder has a lid. It's a duplex brooder. The other side was open but they should've been on the heated side. Only opening to the enclosed heated side is a small, and I mean chick size, hole.

So imagine two storage containers. One has no lid. Other has a vented lid. Lid has the middle cut out and replaced with hardware cloth. Connecting these two happens to be a teeny pipe chicks can squeeze through. And lots of duct tape. The brooder light hangs over the vented lid side where the food and water is at.

Its a solar panel camera. Best bet it's on like Donkey Kong tomorrow. I'm gonna set up the brooder to where what or who it is hears the peeps and comes to investigate. My brooder has a lid. It's a duplex brooder. The other side was open but they should've been on the heated side. Only opening to the enclosed heated side is a small, and I mean chick size, hole.

So imagine two storage containers. One has no lid. Other has a vented lid. Lid has the middle cut out and replaced with hardware cloth. Connecting these two happens to be a teeny pipe chicks can squeeze through. And lots of duct tape. The brooder light hangs over the vented lid side where the food and water is at.
I'd get an LGD if I could afford one.

I agree with @2ndTink, Elfen. “Bait” the predator with meat. It IS coming back. If you’ve got a live trap, bait it, then dispatch the predator. DO NOT BUY BAIT CHICKS. Raw meat… a can of tuna… etc… is all you need. Also, it’s just too risky to put any chicks out there until you know that the brooder is totally secure. Is Kraken gone?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom