Bare minimum age

FowlersFoul1836

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2024
We've got a few Rhode Island Reds that have just about all their feathers, I'd put them at 4 weeks old maybe. How young is too young to get them in the coop with the other older pullets we've already moved in?

To introduce new pullets to an existing flock can take anywhere from 2-5 weeks. The method that worked best for me was the “See but no touch” method in where you place the pullets in an area with the big girls where they can see each other but not able to get at each other. There are many great articles on here discussing that method and if needed I can link them here. :)

To introduce new pullets to an existing flock can take anywhere from 2-5 weeks. The method that worked best for me was the “See but no touch” method in where you place the pullets in an area with the big girls where they can see each other but not able to get at each other. There are many great articles on here discussing that method and if needed I can link them here. :)
That would be great if you wouldn't shooting a couple links! Thanks so much!

We've got a few Rhode Island Reds that have just about all their feathers, I'd put them at 4 weeks old maybe. How young is too young to get them in the coop with the other older pullets we've already moved in?
How old are the other pullets already in the coop? If there is only a couple week difference you may just be able to put them all together, supervised for a bit to be sure there are no issues.

How old are the other pullets already in the coop? If there is only a couple week difference you may just be able to put them all together, supervised for a bit to be sure there are no issues.
At most the older ones are 8 weeks so I think they’d definitely be close enough to try like you’re saying

imo mixing 'not mature' birds theres usually very little problems but of course you cant mix tiny fuzzballs with 4 week olds, use your head .. also 'lots' of space usually eliminates serious problems, but pretty much mature birds simply will not accept immature birds in their space, again, there needs to be enough space they can occupy different areas if you want to put say 5week olds in with old crusty mamas .. 'no' they wont 'get used' to each other past the point of 'likely wont kill them', the older ones will always kick their behind .. as long as they have enough room to keep good distance, like 8' theres usually not much problems .. confine them yeah, theres gonna be carnage .. once everybody reaches sexual maturity, things calm down into a normal pecking order ..

At most the older ones are 8 weeks so I think they’d definitely be close enough to try like you’re saying
I'd give it a go, just make sure you stay out there and watch them for awhile. I have 7 grown hens, 6-4 week olds, 3-5 week olds, and a broody with 6-3 day olds, no issues. Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom