Best way to remove poop off from pavers?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
Would a floor scraper be the best tool to remove poop off from stone pavers? Or should I add pine shavings to cover the floor but I am worried that when the birds flap their wings it will lead to a messy situation? How about sand as the bedding? Is there a risk for worms growing in the sand?

I am guessing that the pavers are in the chickens domicile in some way? Are they in the coop or in a run?

It’s for pigeons or doves. I’m in the planning stages of figuring out which bedding will work. I really want to avoid pine shavings because when the birds fly it will be messy with wood shavings stuck to the sides of my wire aviary. I’m thinking about using play sand.

I see. I have heard a lot of people rave about sand, so it is definitely worth a try.

I don't find pine shavings that messy, but you are right that they will kick (or flap, I guess) up some when they are flying around.

Sand is a good choice if you can keep it completely dry at all times. If you can’t, it can get stinky and gross fast.

I think you’re right about the shavings blowing around a lot and getting stuck to the wire. Are you able to compost/throw out straw? It would still get blown a bit but an even mat on the ground would stay put better than countless loose shavings.

A scraper would clear the poop off the pavers, a hose can be used to scrub off the remnants. Plastic scraper would be easier on your ears than a metal one against concrete :)

Would a floor scraper be the best tool to remove poop off from stone pavers? Or should I add pine shavings to cover the floor but I am worried that when the birds flap their wings it will lead to a messy situation? How about sand as the bedding? Is there a risk for worms growing in the sand?
Scrape it off and put it in a barrel to add to compost in six months time. Chicken shit is wonderfull fertilizer.

In my pigeon aviary I have sawdust over the wooden floor - from horse bedding pellets, dampened when they were put down so they fluff into sawdust. I don’t find it blows around too much. I change it out a few times a year. My aviary is roofed.

In my pigeon aviary I have sawdust over the wooden floor - from horse bedding pellets, dampened when they were put down so they fluff into sawdust. I don’t find it blows around too much. I change it out a few times a year. My aviary is roofed.
That sounds neat. Any issues with mold ever? I was using wood pellets as a bedding in some of my pigeon breeding cages but they didn’t hold up so nicely after getting damp once.

That sounds neat. Any issues with mold ever? I was using wood pellets as a bedding in some of my pigeon breeding cages but they didn’t hold up so nicely after getting damp once.
No, I haven’t seen mold.

The bedding gets wet and stays wet in winter because snow can travel at an angle and comes in under the roof but that freezes and it’s too cold for mold.

Rain may dampen a few inches around the edge, but it usually dries out. I just went out to check. We’ve had very few days without rain this month and yet most of my bedding is dry. i have very modest overhangs but the rain has come down pretty straight. There’s a little rim of dampness just inside the south side. I dug down around the edges, pulled out the bedding from the bottom at various spots and gave it a sniff. Some of it smells a bit like decaying wood, but no distinctly moldy smell.

Back
Top Bottom