Chick with eye half closed

Ray987

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2024
Hello, have this chick almost 2 month old (total 3 chicks and their mother hen) I noticed one of them has his eye half closed yesterday, checked it again today and yep it's half closed (other eye perfectly fine) someone in my household suggested to apply a lemon drop and I did but once the drop got into it's eye I noticed it got colored with a little bit of red (blood) wondering if this is a known disease or something

Note: the chick is eating and drinking, it might've possible got hit by another big chicken while I was trying to add them to the rest of the flock, i didn't see it happen but it's a possibility or perhaps something got into it's eye while i was chasing it (I chase them quite a bit lol to get them back to their run when they escape

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-20-12-03-28-399_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-20-12-03-28-399_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_2024-05-20-12-03-11-771_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-20-12-03-11-771_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Don’t ever put lemon juice into an eye. Get some water or saline into that eye right away to dilute the lemon. That (lemon juice) would probably burn your eye. To rinse an eye, use saline. That is a cup of water with 1/2 tsp of table salt boiled and cooled. You can make a larger amount and store in a clean jar. Rinse the eye 2-3 times a day. Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment can be applied 2-3 times a day. They sell saline and eye wash at the pharmacy if you don’t want to make saline.

It is hard to know if this is conjunctivitis from a respiratory disease or if she was pecked or got something in the eye. Let us know if you see any bubbles or foam in the eye, and y swelling around the eyelid, or sneezing. These would be more signs of a possible respiratory disease.

Don’t ever put lemon juice into an eye. Get some water or saline into that eye right away to dilute the lemon. That (lemon juice) would probably burn your eye. To rinse an eye, use saline. That is a cup of water with 1/2 tsp of table salt boiled and cooled. You can make a larger amount and store in a clean jar. Rinse the eye 2-3 times a day. Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment can be applied 2-3 times a day. They sell saline and eye wash at the pharmacy if you don’t want to make saline.

It is hard to know if this is conjunctivitis from a respiratory disease or if she was pecked or got something in the eye. Let us know if you see any bubbles or foam in the eye, and y swelling around the eyelid, or sneezing. These would be more signs of a possible respiratory disease.
Thanks for your help, I've made salin and applying it throughout the day now, I might've noticed a little foaming just a tiny bit but overall the chick seems fine (eating, drinking, running around) no sneezing or any other symptoms also managed to take a pic of it's poop

Attachments

• IMG_20240521_122450.jpg
    IMG_20240521_122450.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240521_122445.jpg
    IMG_20240521_122445.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom