Comb is like no others.

Your chicks combs are all so red. My chicks combs are not a vibrant red, should I be concerned?

Your chicks combs are all so red. My chicks combs are not a vibrant red, should I be concerned?
The other persons chickens are at least a year old. Your chicks combs are not very red because they're still young. Males develop bright red combs early on but females won't get much color until they are close to laying age.

oh mine are actually 2 years old and Orpington hens have very red combs. But the black one isn't an Orpington bc she has a flat comb. Your chicks are very beautiful btw.

She has a rose comb. Where did you get her from?
Thank you for clarifying, I'd never seen one in person and was having trouble telling just from pics. I got her from a local lady on kijiji (like Canadian Craigslist), who bred Orpingtons but also other breeds that I can't remember. She's my only non-Orpington, she's fluffy like them, but smaller. Her chick doesn't have a flat comb...I thought it would be dominate?

Thank you for clarifying, I'd never seen one in person and was having trouble telling just from pics. I got her from a local lady on kijiji (like Canadian Craigslist), who bred Orpingtons but also other breeds that I can't remember. She's my only non-Orpington, she's fluffy like them, but smaller. Her chick doesn't have a flat comb...I thought it would be dominate?
She must carry the single comb gene.
Rose combs are dominant.

Back
Top Bottom