Do You Hear the Chickens, Clarice?

Did you ever have any human children?
I'm so very curious. :p
Yes. Older adoption. šŸ¤£ When I discovered the whole napping chicken thing, one looked at me incredulously, but also with a smidge of disgust and said, "Thank God You adopted me as a toddler." I laughed until I cried. It was a legitimate and very logical conclusion, as well as a much deserved burn.

This is one of the best things I've ever read.

Be careful what you wish for. My experience with little ones was similar. They became quite panicky (despite brooder side entry) and it was very upsetting.

In the early weeks, they were residing in our guest room because we have cats. At about the three week mark, inspired by advice found on BYC, I decided to just hang out with them a couple of times day. Granted, I have an excess of time on my hands so that wasn't an issue. I threw a sheet on the floor and let them out of the brooder for 30-60 minutes morning and evening. I sat on the floor and offered them a small amount of crushed meal worms (grit was available). It wasn't long before their curiosity and desire for treats overcame their fear. They would climb all over me and deposit their packages of thanks everywhere.

My girls are now 9 weeks old and have moved into their own home. They are always excited to see me or, more likely, what I might be bringing them. I often sit in the run and give them a little bit of something tasty. After they've eaten, they will visit me in ones and twos. Their offerings are fewer but more substantial and creatively placed.

The drawback to their friendliness is that their affections frequently take the form of minor injuries to myself. This is probably due, in part, to the fact that I have not set clear boundaries with them. In the last two weeks, I have been loved up to the point that I am seriously considering having a set of chicken proof armor constructed. At a minimum, eye protection is required for social visits.

Best wishes with your flock! šŸ˜
Hmmmm... I am now reconsidering the chicken love. Maybe I should pick up some football gear and a hazmat suit...? It does sound sweet - the idea of sitting with them and being part of their little flock. Really endearing picture.

I think wet mash has been a savior to get chicks running toward my hands. Wet mash is just regular chick feed soaked to moist with water. I put it in a tiny flat Tupperware the first time I give it, the second time I hold the Tupperware and donā€™t move my hand or arm at all. Usually by the 3rd or 4th time they all come running when they see my hand enter, and I can start feeding it out of my hand. During this time I am careful not to pick them up at all, and if they jump on my hand or arm when eating I do not move. Yours might be a bit more traumatized from all the cleanings, but I bet after a week or so they will get the hang of it.

Other treats should only be given in moderation, and if they have anything besides chick starter they will need chick grit to help with digesting. I usually hold off on other treats until they are at least 4 weeks old.
I have read a little bit about mash and am super excited to try it. This will be a great alternative to treats for now. Thank you!

I agree, well written.

Many people are upset when they see them laying around looking dead. They do look dead, but it is just sleep. I have a 14-year-old dog that sleeps like that but is a lot harder to wake up. If something comes at them from the sky, they think it is a hawk coming to eat them. You will eventually tame them, especially if you stop coming at them from on high, with patience and food. Food can work wonders but it may take a little while. They are probably not using that heat plate much. At that age and those temperatures they should not need any extra heat.

If they are still alive at 12 days you are doing something right.
After my first groups of babies, I read the reaching in seems more like an attack from a predator. Also like the dinosaur with the short hands...mmmmm I will just take you in my mouth and gulp, yummy scooby snack.

I don't know where to start. I am inept, so that's probably a good foundation. If there are aliens capable of visiting, but hesitant to do so, my ineptitude may be a contributing factor to their position.

I have 12 day old Rhode Island Reds. They were very sweet in the beginning. We gently scooped them up and snuggled them in our hands. They nestled into our palms and adorably nodded off - their cute puffy eyelids meeting strangely together. Our endeavors at attachment were eventually met with what, I assume, was their grateful response of massive defecations on our unprepared, bare epidermis.

Now anytime any of us reaches into the brooder, they run screaming from us and make an awkward dog pile of terrified baby chickens in the corner. I assume this is because I washed them a lot whenever they laid down because (1) I was afraid they were sick with pasty butt, and (2) I didn't know baby chicks nap during the day. What I am calling "washed them" they likely consider some bizarre form of Bible Belt Chicken Water Torture. I am fairly certain our empathetic beagle agrees with them; he is very protective of any species in distress and always ran in to silently judge me when the washings were afoot.

Also, I didn't know you were supposed to dry them off before returning them to the brooder, so they were doubly accosted by my best intentions. As an aside, hairdrying their posteriors on low seems to initiate bowel movements. As a further aside, one of the chicks stands in the corner, back to her sisters, with her head bowed as if in shame, while staccato chirping loudly like a silver gym whistle until her bowels are evacuated. Also, I literally watched one defecate on her sister's face; I laughed uproariously which also sent them screaming into the feather dogpile. And perpetuated more beagley silent judgement. *sigh*

I have digressed long enough. My assumption has been that their soundless laying about the brooder willy nilly is truly their version of napping. I have attached a pic (I hope) of what it looks like. I left the screen cover on for the picture because if I move it, more terror and anguish and silent beagle judgery. We still have no heat lamp, but do have the plate. I am cheaper than a rusty tin can in a junk yard, so the a.c. is always set to 77. It is a tad warmer than that in the kitchen which faces west. I hope I am contributing to their survival rather than being The Thing They Are Surviving.
Bravo. Please, start a running thread on your adventures in chicken keeping. This world needs more comic relief.

After my first groups of babies, I read the reaching in seems more like an attack from a predator.
Two thoughts: first, the Maine coon mix (Baskerville) had made himself quite at home literally sitting on top of the brooder (screened, but still...) and I didn't know until I glanced up from the sink. Not a single peep from the girls. An actual lion looking verifiable predator!!! I may have taken a slight offence to this.

mmmmm I will just take you in my mouth and gulp, yummy scooby snack.

Second, perhaps I shouldn't admit this. A neighbor's puppers inadvertently dispatched nearly 30 chicklets in a very clean and non bloody massacre. She said it seemed puppers thought they were squeak toys and got a good squeak out of them before they each "stopped working." As I was bathing the first one and it cheeped its protest, I felt the brief expansion and quick expelling of the cheep. For a short and very disturbing moment I realized how very satisfying all of those accidental squeaky toys must have been to puppers. Eek!

First thought through my head whilst reading was if this lovely soul has children those kids have truly felt the magical touch of a clueless new parent.
Its one of the most hilariously beautiful things one will ever see, like if you dipped Gallagher in glitter and had him sing you some Celine Dion.
Oh those lucky, lucky chickaroonis.šŸ¤£
Yes. Older adoption. šŸ¤£ When I discovered the whole napping chicken thing, one looked at me incredulously, but also with a smidge of disgust and said, "Thank God You adopted me as a toddler." I laughed until I cried. It was a legitimate and very logical conclusion, as well as a much deserved burn.

This is one of the best things I've ever read.

Be careful what you wish for. My experience with little ones was similar. They became quite panicky (despite brooder side entry) and it was very upsetting.

In the early weeks, they were residing in our guest room because we have cats. At about the three week mark, inspired by advice found on BYC, I decided to just hang out with them a couple of times day. Granted, I have an excess of time on my hands so that wasn't an issue. I threw a sheet on the floor and let them out of the brooder for 30-60 minutes morning and evening. I sat on the floor and offered them a small amount of crushed meal worms (grit was available). It wasn't long before their curiosity and desire for treats overcame their fear. They would climb all over me and deposit their packages of thanks everywhere.

My girls are now 9 weeks old and have moved into their own home. They are always excited to see me or, more likely, what I might be bringing them. I often sit in the run and give them a little bit of something tasty. After they've eaten, they will visit me in ones and twos. Their offerings are fewer but more substantial and creatively placed.

The drawback to their friendliness is that their affections frequently take the form of minor injuries to myself. This is probably due, in part, to the fact that I have not set clear boundaries with them. In the last two weeks, I have been loved up to the point that I am seriously considering having a set of chicken proof armor constructed. At a minimum, eye protection is required for social visits.

Best wishes with your flock! šŸ˜
My Easter hatch was raised in a tent in one of my kids bedroom. Every morning sheā€™d let them out and they were the absolute friendliest little buggers! Unfortunately almost all roos and they became such terrors that I dreaded trying to feed them. Weā€™ve NEVER had mean chicks and these were like trying to feed a pool of piranhas after youā€™d taken a cheese grater to the handā€¦

I don't have any advice
But PLEASE keep writing and updating on your chicken adventure . After a long week of trying to help a relative that is declining in both mentally and physically . this is the best thing I have read . I hope you have a wonderful journey with your chicks

Back
Top Bottom