Egg bound silkie?

Pics
Hi everyone, I thought I should update today because I think it has been a week since I last updated. My silkie has only been starring to eat in the mornings but when I check her at night she feels completely empty. I see her eat in the mornings so I know she eats some. She isn't acting lethargic nor does she look sick she just doesn't want to eat. And she is also molting. She does feel very underweight but I have been force feeding her baby food every night till her crop is full. Is it normal for her still to not want to eat? The only thing she chooses to eat is grass flowers eggs and worms but does not want to touch her regular feed other then the mornings. How often can I feed my silkie eggs? Thank you for any response or advice that is give!

Hi everyone, I thought I should update today because I think it has been a week since I last updated. My silkie has only been starring to eat in the mornings but when I check her at night she feels completely empty. I see her eat in the mornings so I know she eats some. She isn't acting lethargic nor does she look sick she just doesn't want to eat. And she is also molting. She does feel very underweight but I have been force feeding her baby food every night till her crop is full. Is it normal for her still to not want to eat? The only thing she chooses to eat is grass flowers eggs and worms but does not want to touch her regular feed other then the mornings. How often can I feed my silkie eggs? Thank you for any response or advice that is give!
During a molt it’s not uncommon at all for them to loose weight and not want to eat. However given the fact that she was sick before the molt, I think I’d take whatever I can get her to eat if I were you. Have you tried making her chicken feed into a mash? A lot of chickens find that interesting. During molt I add in egg and canned chicken or tuna for extra protein to regrow feathers. As long as there isn’t a ton of excess salt you might try sardines, black soldier fly larva, watermelon…anything she’ll eat can’t be awful if she isn’t eating much. Try serving it all with her chicken feed tho, so she’ll get the picture. I have better luck getting mine to eat when they’re on the roost and I hold a bowl up to them, even if it’s just chicken feed, they think it’s a treat. Maybe because they can’t see it well or maybe I’ve just trained them to think it’s something yummy!

During a molt it’s not uncommon at all for them to loose weight and not want to eat. However given the fact that she was sick before the molt, I think I’d take whatever I can get her to eat if I were you. Have you tried making her chicken feed into a mash? A lot of chickens find that interesting. During molt I add in egg and canned chicken or tuna for extra protein to regrow feathers. As long as there isn’t a ton of excess salt you might try sardines, black soldier fly larva, watermelon…anything she’ll eat can’t be awful if she isn’t eating much. Try serving it all with her chicken feed tho, so she’ll get the picture. I have better luck getting mine to eat when they’re on the roost and I hold a bowl up to them, even if it’s just chicken feed, they think it’s a treat. Maybe because they can’t see it well or maybe I’ve just trained them to think it’s something yummy!
i make her a mash every morning and I think that's why she eats it in the morning. But later through the day she stops eating from it. Although she does have a empty crop at night she still poops out solid which makes me think she might be eating through the day just not enough. But for some reason she just hasn't been interested in egg but loves her black soldier larvae. I'm not sure if maybe she needs antibiotics still or not. because she is acting like herself but she also has not been wanting to eat for the past 3 weeks. So I'm not sure whether to call to see if she needs a different antibiotic.

i make her a mash every morning and I think that's why she eats it in the morning. But later through the day she stops eating from it. Although she does have an empty crop at night she still poops out solid which makes me think she might be eating through the day just not enough. But for some reason she just hasn't been interested in egg but loves her black soldier larvae. I'm not sure if maybe she needs antibiotics still or not. because she is acting like herself but she also has not been wanting to eat for the past 3 weeks. So I'm not sure whether to call to see if she needs a different antibiotic.
Have you tried giving her easy-to-eat things that have probiotics in them and be good for her gut flora such as Greek yogurt or sauerkraut? Maybe the antibiotics have thrown her flora off a bit and made her appetite wonky. The good thing is that she is eating some.

Back
Top Bottom