Eye infection

duckmom216

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2023
Hi! i was wondering what i can do about his eye it seems to be infected but i wanna make sure i use the right stuff to treat it… also i noticed he’s all puffed up at the moment just flapping his wings a lot im not sure why or what that indicates! any advice would be appreciated, thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_5225.jpeg
    IMG_5225.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5220.jpeg
    IMG_5220.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5222.jpeg
    IMG_5222.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5231.jpeg
    IMG_5231.jpeg
    670.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5230.jpeg
    IMG_5230.jpeg
    660.8 KB · Views: 8
Does he have access to water that is deep enough to fully submerge his entire head (eyes included not just bill deep)? Tractor supply or any farm store should carry Terramycin that you can put on his eyes, but it looks like his eyes are not getting washed properly from dunking. As far as puffed up what are you feeding him? Also are you adding any extra niacin to his diet (with him being a pekin it is imperative that he have extra niacin)?

Does he have access to water that is deep enough to fully submerge his entire head (eyes included not just bill deep)? Tractor supply or any farm store should carry Terramycin that you can put on his eyes, but it looks like his eyes are not getting washed properly from dunking. As far as puffed up what are you feeding him? Also are you adding any extra niacin to his diet (with him being a pekin it is imperative that he have extra niacin)?
yes he has a large deep bowl of water that he drinks and dunks his head in since he’s scared of his new pool lol. and i feed him purina duck feed and add brewers yeast and he gets the B complex as well

I think that eye will rapidly get better if you bathe it in salt water. Dissolve 1teaspn salt in 1 cup of boiled and cooled water. Use the solution luke warm or room temperature. I wrap my duck in a towel and then hold him against my body with one arm leaving the and free to hold the bill/head and my other hand for wiping the eye. You can use small cotton wool balls or small pieces of clean old cloth. Wet the swab/cloth in the saltwater solution and then wipe the eye once and discard. Use a fresh cotton wool ball or piece of cloth for each wipe.

When an eye is discharging, I might bathe the eye three times a day, decreasing to twice and then once a day as it gets better. @duckmom216, your duck's eye looks like it would only need wiping once a day for a few days. If you haven't started tetramycin or terramycin eye ointment, you might not need any. That isn't a bad eye infection and will get better quickly with bathing. If you are already using the eye ointment, then continue -- apply each day after you have washed the eye with salt water
20220629_075714.jpg

Last edited:
I think that eye will rapidly get better if you bathe it in salt water. Dissolve 1teaspn salt in boiled and cooled water. Use luke warm or room temperature. Iwrap my duck in a towel and then hold him against my body with one arm leaving the and free to hold the bill/head and my other hand for wiping the eye. You can use small cotton wool balls or small pieces of clean old cloth. Wet the swab/cloth inthe salt water solution and hten wipe the eye once and discard. Use a fresh cotton wool ball or piece of cloth for each wipe.

WHen an eye is discharging I might bathe the ees three times a day decreasing to twice and hten once a day as it gets better. @duckmom216, your duck's eye looks like it would only need wiping once a day for a few days. If you haven;t started tetramycin or terramycin eye ointment, you might not need any. That isn't a bad eye infection and will get better quickly with bathing. If you are already using the eye ointment, then continue -- apply each day after you have washed the eye with salt water
oh good thank you so much! i will just wipe it for him for the next few days hopefully it’ll just clear up

oh good thank you so much! i will just wipe it for him for the next few days hopefully it’ll just clear up
I just realized that I wrote how much salt but not how much boiled and cooled water. 1tspn salt dissolved in 1 cup boiled and cooled water

I have amended my original comment to include the cup of water

Back
Top Bottom