Falling Down Heights, my daily life

Pics
Two eggs out of nest this morning. Brought them inside, candled, and one was cracked but with a decended air cell. It was also cold. Now in the incubator.

Also rescued another duckling that was out of the nest.

Eggs due for lockdown tomorrow already started hatching. I'm wondering if they may be cross-breeds. One pipped outside the air cell but at the top. Baby is chirping, so allowing it to finish hatching on it's own.

Anyone know how to tell a domestic duck / muscovy mix when hatchelings?

All the eggs and babies have been taken from that female. She only had two eggs left at this point, one pipped, the other crushed and bloody, but with the baby somehow still alive. Both are in the incubator and I'm keeping an eye on the crushed one. The one hatchling with her was also brought in and is currently protesting quite loudly, lol.

Baby is breathing and occasionaly moving and chirping. Keeping my fingers crossed it makes it.

Attachments

• 20240610_103219.jpg
    20240610_103219.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 2
Little one in the crushed shell is now out. Had a bit of a rough time getting the dried membrane off, but managed it after a lot of cotton pads soaked in water and applied to it.

Once the yolk was finally absorbed, I helped him slip out of the remnants of the shell. He's resting right now.

Hopefully tomorrow he'll be on his feet.

Back
Top Bottom