Getting baby chicks!

What I would also recommend is building them a secured run, preferably covered to provide shade and keep them from flying out, that way they'll have an outdoor area to be in even if you can't free range for a bit for whatever reason. You'll want a minimum of 10 square feet of run space per bird but more is always better

Got it! The coop we are picking up Sunday has a large enclosed run, I think 9 feet by 5, so they will have plenty of room! I think I will start with them snuggled in a blanket on our porch just to get them accustomed to the outside

Got it! The coop we are picking up Sunday has a large enclosed run, I think 9 feet by 5, so they will have plenty of room! I think I will start with them snuggled in a blanket on our porch just to get them accustomed to the outside
Once you get that built you can actually start letting them out in that! They'll love it!

Make sure to predator proof the run as well, you'll have to post a picture of the run once it's built for me to give specific suggestions but the main thing is to surround the outer 2 feet outside the run with hardware cloth to stop digging predators. A determined fox, possum or raccoon will absolutely dig underneath your fence to get an easy meal

I have to mix in the grit with the food right? I will start by sitting in the flower beds with them, and then letting them go around. I assume at their age I need a play pen or some form of containment so they don't run away? When does this stop and I am able to let them out without a contianment area?
I add grit to food so they don't have the opportunity to gorge on it. Just a pinch maybe 1-2x a week is plenty.

Yes you should contain them when they're very little, as they're hard to catch when they're that tiny and if they get frightened they could run somewhere that's difficult to get them out of.

Free range age can vary, mine started coming out of the run at around 6 weeks old, but they stay very close to the run still. As they get older they'll gradually move further out when released.
Got it! I have two options, a smaller caged area that I can fit in, or a cat mesh tent.
Either should be fine as long as you're available to supervise.

For the first few weeks I would only give them chicken starter feed or cooled scrambled eggs. Keep treats for later on when they're a bit older. Check out Chickenlandia on YouTube. Dahlia has a book about chicken raising and she's really knowledgeable. Did you get sexed chickens? If not, then you need to prepare yourself and have a plan if you have too many cockerells (young roosters). I just had to rehome my Golden-laced Polish because it was extremely obvious he was a rooster (gorgeous guy) and I don't keep roosters in my flock. Many suburban neighborhoods do not allow roosters, so google your town laws on chicken-keeping. You don't need a rooster to get eggs and my girls are my pets.
Also, baby chicks on chick starter feed don't need grit. I don't know the temperatures where you are and the chicks need the warmth of the heater for the first month, so I probably wouldn't take them outside yet. That being said, I also wouldn't brood them in the house because the dust is awful and quite difficult to clean up. I brood mine for the first month in the garage and then move them to the coop. Since I'm integrating them into an older flock, I have them in the cage with the door open but blocking easy access by the older hens. The babies dug a tunnel and run around the coop during the day. They aren't quite big enough to get out and go down the ramp. You could put a lightweight cat toy on a string and dangle it. Just make sure you don't leave it behind so they don't try to eat the string,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom