UPDATE: Help! Did I do bad? Broody

AuntChickie

Songster
7 Years
May 18, 2017
North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
UPDATE: I reached out to my client and seems I have stressed for nothing. She has a contact that will take all her oopsies (it has happened before).
She did give me some guidance how to identify new eggs in the clutch (by marking the current ones) and remove those - and for goodness sakes don’t let any others be broody!
The hen tucked the returned eggs back into the clutch. 😃

I am petsitting and there are 18 hens + 2 Roos. One hen is broody; I noticed her yesterday evening when I arrived. The help tells me “oh she’s been broody for several days. I don’t know how long!” AFTER I forced 3 eggs from under her (because the client doesn’t want to tend to chicks)… candling? One has no light, the other two have shadows. Should I give them back to her?

Last edited:
She left yesterday and she’s only keeping hens and goats from her late husband’s retirement adventure. She doesn’t collect everyday and that baffles me. The help only feeds them in the morning and opens the pen. So he knows this one has been on eggs for more than a couple days. Can I give them back? Here she is with the returned eggs (she’s not happy and I worry she will reject them)
image.jpg

She left yesterday and she’s only keeping hens and goats from her late husband’s retirement adventure. She doesn’t collect everyday and that baffles me. The help only feeds them in the morning and opens the pen. So he knows this one has been on eggs for more than a couple days. Can I give them back? Here she is with the returned eggs (she’s not happy and I worry she will reject them)View attachment 3833040

If she doesn't want any more chickens, I'm sorry but there's not much you can do. You'll have to take away the eggs and break her

She’s out of town 10 more days.. and she (let) the bird get broody.. if I knew today was day 3 or 4 but it might be past 7. How does the flock handle chicks? Can’t they stay with the mother hen (like natural birds)?

She’s out of town 10 more days.. and she (let) the bird get broody.. if I knew today was day 3 or 4 but it might be past 7. How does the flock handle chicks? Can’t they stay with the mother hen (like natural birds)?
If she doesn't want chicks, just take the eggs away. They aren't your birds, you don't get to just decide to make more chicks for the owner to deal with when they get back

Back
Top Bottom