Hen can’t lift neck after attacked by fox

I had a rooster that was unable to lift his head for a very long time, months, after a fox attack. The fox had bitten the back of his neck with chunks missing and exposed flesh, etc. I am not sure what exactly was severed by the bite. Everyone said he was gone and I should just cull him. He eventually got better and lived 4 more years without issues.

Keep giving her feed and water, hens are both very fragile and very resilient depending on the issue. They can regenerate after such attacks. Good luck.

It is hard to know if she has a neck or head injury from the unwitnessed fox attack. When someone suggests Mareks might be considered, we have no way of knowing if it is Mareks or not. A lady in the UK who dealt with Mareks in her flock, said that she had seen where stress or an injury had set off symptoms in her birds. I think that you are doing all you can with supportive care, vitamins, and tube feeding. Hopefully, she will recover. If you lose her, it would be good to find out how you could get her tested to see if she had Mareks. That is what I would do.

Back
Top Bottom