My grandma’s other favorites were all soap operas so heartland is the less dramatic option for me if you can believe it😂
Oh gosh!!! Mine includes NCIS which I LOVE so it’s not so bad LOL that and Monk which I’ve never really seen and some British one I don’t really remember. Doc Martin maybe?

I’m curious, what is the average price range for a good kids pony in your area? Not a fancy show pony just a beginner pony that’s not on deaths door. I was shocked by how much they are going for in my area. I don’t mind paying for a good horse, but goodness have ponies gone up in $$$.
I can't believe how much the prices of everything to do with horses have increased! The past 5 years hay has doubled in price, so of course the feed stores have followed suit for grain, tack, supplements, even salt blocks!
The last time this happened was 2008 when the land value bubble popped, feed prices increased because of fuel costs, people were getting foreclosed, they could no longer afford their horses, so good horses were going for a fraction of what they were worth. You could pick up good horses for pennies.
I don't understand why, with land prices and rents out of control today, people are selling their elderly horses, untrained colts or Mustangs, ex-racehorses with behavior quirks, horses with unsoundness that can be managed but only for trails or light riding, for never less than $5000. A horse with potential to be competitive is never less than $10,000 - $15,000, and a horse trained in whatever discipline, even a middle-aged one moving down to a kid's schoolmaster level from a professional level is like $30,000 - $50,000.
Maybe the people in 2008 who owned a lot of land and just let colts and mares breed indiscriminately no longer own land? So there's no longer a glut of youngsters?
But it seems like just as many horses are getting auctioned off to the slaughter buyers, so I don't get what is happening with the horse economy or why.
The one thing I do know, is middle-income people are getting forced out of horse ownership.

some British one I don’t really remember. Doc Martin maybe?
That's a good series, my 87-year-old Mom is a fan.

I can't believe how much the prices of everything to do with horses have increased! The past 5 years hay has doubled in price, so of course the feed stores have followed suit for grain, tack, supplements, even salt blocks!
The last time this happened was 2008 when the land value bubble popped, feed prices increased because of fuel costs, people were getting foreclosed, they could no longer afford their horses, so good horses were going for a fraction of what they were worth. You could pick up good horses for pennies.
I don't understand why, with land prices and rents out of control today, people are selling their elderly horses, untrained colts or Mustangs, ex-racehorses with behavior quirks, horses with unsoundness that can be managed but only for trails or light riding, for never less than $5000. A horse with potential to be competitive is never less than $10,000 - $15,000, and a horse trained in whatever discipline, even a middle-aged one moving down to a kid's schoolmaster level from a professional level is like $30,000 - $50,000.
Maybe the people in 2008 who owned a lot of land and just let colts and mares breed indiscriminately no longer own land? So there's no longer a glut of youngsters?
But it seems like just as many horses are getting auctioned off to the slaughter buyers, so I don't get what is happening with the horse economy or why.
The one thing I do know, is middle-income people are getting forced out of horse ownership.

That's a good series, my 87-year-old Mom is a fan.
Yes exactly it is insane! I just saw one listed the other day that was a grade quarter horse, blind in one eye, required “confident intermediate to experienced rider” and they wanted $6,000…like whaaa??? You’re right on everything else going up too. I am paying $13 a square bale for hay and before back in 2013 right before I sold my horses I could get hay for $2-$3 a bale. Things like weaver halters with a throat latch I could get for $15 before and now I just paid $36 a piece. Don’t even get me started on fencing!

Back
Top Bottom