LIttle Missy faced death today and lived to tell about it HELP

okiechick57

Crowing
14 Years
May 22, 2007
Just outside Okc Oklahoma
A coyote tried to eat my hen ! It just tore the skin,no break of the meat THANK GOODNESS ! She ran for her life. A long story about the chase and death of the coyote is in predator postings ! I need to know what to do now.No bleeding..jus torn skin........so I put on a super duper antibiotic after cleaning it ...........she is walking and chattering and eating fine.just favors that side of course...... should I put her in place by herself? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

.chickenkiller009-1.jpg

Poor thing!! Yes I would put her by herself, the other chickens will peck at her otherwise. Keep it clean and keep using the antibiotic ointment, like neosporin. I don't know what to do other then that.

Thanks I will go move her now...........she is in the coop and it is raining. I didnt want to leave her outside at all.... hope she is okay .........so glad that dang animal is gone gone !

You might want to bring her inside, or watch it VERY closely cuz you want to make sure flies dont lay eggs and she gets maggots.
Not sure you seen Wolfpackers post bout his lil hen, but he kicks himself that he left her outside cuz that happened to him. If it looks like flies are around her AT ALL, make sure you bring her in and watch that wound very closely.
I will be rootin for her.
smile.png

Morning, I am about to go get her and figure out how to keep her inside. I did think about putting up some fly net aound the pen she is in........just nowhere that I think I could keep her inside right now.... will keep you all posted.as far as a butterfly thingy........I was told the skin will fall off anyway....... this ,luckily is a clean wound ,meaning nothing but skin torn.......so I am hoping it will grow back over once the piece falls off?

When my pullets were injured, I would keep them in an old metal grass catcher in the storage shed for a while, until I saw that they had fought the infection (no matter what I did, they always seem to get infected, but were always able to recover fairly quickly.) had gone away. (Keep in mind, that was when they were much smaller.
big_smile.png
) Unless it's something major, I now just keep them seperate for a day, and spread pine tar on the wound. Blu-Kote or Wound-Kote, I'm told, will also work. Even though I do like them a lot, not quite to the point where I take them in the house or monitor them all the time. Just haven't got the time to do that, and I don't want the mess.
idunno.gif
You should be able to get all three from the feed store.

Good luck with her!

If it stays clean she should heal up fine. Unless it gets infected or flys attack it. I would keep her indoors/enclosed garage till shes healed up. If you have any DE I would spread that around her area, maybe even rub some in her feathers (Not right next to the wound thou) it'll take care of the creepy crawlys that pop up. Wish you the best of luck!

Bubba

PS I have ripped myself down to the muscle on more than one occasion. I healed just fine with no stitches.

Back
Top Bottom