My chickens was brought home on 3/15/2024. They are now well feathered and almost the size of football. Can I now disconnect the ultraviolet lite .

bendelstate2

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2024
My chickens was brought home on 3/15/1024,they are now well feathered. Can I now disconnect the ultra violet lite, will they survive

You are safe to unplug the light and monitor their behavior. I'd say they are still a little young to be put outside with nighttime temps, assuming those temps are 40 to 50 right now, with no supplemental heat.

If you see them piling up with unsettled movement within the group they are too cold.

My chickens was brought home on 3/15/1024,they are now well feathered. Can I now disconnect the ultra violet lite, will they survive
What's your general location? Mine are the same age as yours, and they've been outside for a couple weeks, even with nighttime lows of thirty F. They went without the light since three weeks old (but I raised them in my bedroom which had a temp of 75 F).

What's your general location? Mine are the same age as yours, and they've been outside for a couple weeks, even with nighttime lows of thirty F. They went without the light since three weeks old (but I raised them in my bedroom which had a temp of 75 F).
3/15!!! Ok, I'm a month behind. I was reading your post and thinking - 2 week old chicks outside!! NO WAY! 🤣

Yes - 6 weeks is probably doing them more harm than good with the light.

You are safe to unplug the light and monitor their behavior. I'd say they are still a little young to be put outside with nighttime temps, assuming those temps are 40 to 50 right now, with no supplemental heat.

If you see them piling up with unsettled movement within the group they are too cold.
Thank you , they are still in the stock tank in the shed, I transfer them to my big coop when they are about to start laying eggs.

Back
Top Bottom