Rabbit tractor questions (disease prevention, food supplementing, etc).

NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
I hope to in the further future own angoras for fur and pets. If I ever did this I would want them to be in tractors so they would need little to no litter, cheaper to feed, and for the rabbits enrichment. But I have some questions on this idea:

1. How do you prevent diseases from wild rabbits? Can you? Is there a vaccine?

2. Do you provide them with timothy hay and/or pellets while in the tractor?

3. Do you put wire on the bottom to prevent them from digging out?

4. Is there anything else I should know about rabbit tractors? I know how to care for rabbits in the traditional cage set up but not in tractors.

Thx,

I am actually trying to figure out how to set up a rabbit colony as well, so don't know the answers...

Except, if you are making a moveable tractor I would think you need to be careful about putting wire on the bottom. While that would be very useful in a non moving colony on a tractor that would get stuck on every rock or tuft of long grass when you tried to move it... Also if you moved it with rabbits inside their legs would be in danger.

But if you don't, yeah, them digging out would be a risk. Not sure the best way to deal with that.

Sorry I'm not moe helpful, like I said I'm figuring this out too

I didn't worry about it beyond providing the right environment and nutrition. Oh but this link reminds me of the need for pest control at times..

https://herebunny.com/care/english-angora

I used the same permethrin based spritz as for chickens, the one I had was also labeled for use with rabbits IIRC, but please always do your own follow up research/confirmations!

2. Do you provide them with timothy hay and/or pellets while in the tractor?
This may depend on your pasture conditions and stock density. But generally speaking I would say yes hay and pellets are still a good choice to round out nutrition. I will note that angora goats required a higher quality (protein) hay than non angora goats.. so hopefully you will get some more input in that regard. Also my response is IF they're in the tractor full time.. If they stay in the tractor only in the day time.. then I only provide water, with hay and pellets being available upon return to the full time kennel. Rabbits also eat their cecal pellets. This link was a nice basic overview..

https://www.animalwised.com/raising-angora-rabbits-health-care-guide-1908.html

One of those links suggests alf alfa hay when "young" for the calcium content which I know is the reason to avoid it when older as it can cause urinary calculi. I don't know exactly when the cross over is or if alfalfa should ever be used.. (I have offered it in small amounts only as enrichment to my various animals)
3. Do you put wire on the bottom to prevent them from digging out?
The other poster mentioned great concerns.. if you don't screen the bottom.. they'll be gone! (if they're left in the same place very long or over night especially). I used 1/2 inch hardware cloth under the hutch I didn't move. On the open daytime pasture part (about 20x40 ft).. I placed a skirt along the fence (inside and out) because I knew they wouldn't back up to dig out.. but they did still dig in the middle of the fenced pasture and quickly became very long and deep with no way for me to retrieve them and only a matter of time before they popped out somewhere else, possibly even inside my pole barn.

When I first started tractor-ing my rabbits (different breeds does effect behavior slightly) for a few only a few hours per day.. they hadn't yet become obsessed with digging and so I was able to contain them easily enough. Once moved out full time.. it was THE most important and fun thing.

I don't see your location but will mention that heat can be a major problem for rabbits outside. My extended family when younger, used frozen water bottles with a fan blowing.

I know you said you already know how to care for rabbits in a traditional set up but this is still a great link for tons of rabbit information.. including available vaccines or health concerns..

https://rabbit.org/category/health/

For me.. moving the tractors daily or several times per day was not ideal for any of my animals I've tried it with.. and I far prefer permanent set ups.. finding them ultimately easier to clean and maintain at any cost in addition to the security.

Cupcake (f) known as Thumper said to be mean by staff and Oreo (m), were sent home unfixed from my county shelter for an adoption fee of $5. My local vet wanted $400 each. Pub.vet (that's pub dot vet) took care of us during a spay/neuter clinic at the local tribal center for about $100 total. Cupcake did box me a couple times and preferred handling on her own terms but quickly settled into being a great pet. I learned rabbits aren't for me (at this stage in my life).
cupcake.jpg
Oreo.jpg

Anyways, I hope sharing my experience will give you some ideas. Overall it was a fantastic adventure, and I hope yours will bet to!

I do not have personal experience with rabbit tractors, but I've been reading about them for years. A few thoughts about floors and other points:

Here's a page with a photo of someone's rabbit tractor with wood slats for the bottom:
https://www.polyfacefarms.com/forage-based-rabbits/

https://projects.sare.org/wp-content/uploads/SARE.PasturedRabbits.pdf
Here's a .pdf that talks about one farm's rabbit raising system, and also mentions two others. I'm seeing mention of large-mesh wire on the bottom of their tractors, and a foot-wide apron around the inside of someone else's tractors.

That one also talks about diseases, food, and various other aspects of raising meat rabbits with tractors on pasture. (They've got a hybrid system, with breeding stock in raised cages, and weaned bunnies in tractors. They also explain why they use that system.)

I cannot find the source now, but I remember reading about someone else with rabbit tractors, large-mesh wire on the bottom, and a raised wood section in each tractor. The rabbits would hop up on the wood when the tractor was moved, so their feet were not in danger of being caught in the wire. I think the wood was high enough that they could also go under it, so it provided shade and a hidey-hole as well.

I think vaccines do exist for at least some diseases. It might vary by country-- Britain vs. USA vs. Australia can have different rabbit diseases.

Last edited:
Do you need the tractor to be movable? As mentioned I've been researching rabbit colonies for awhile (it's a next year project, hopefully).

I remember one forum I read mentioned they had great success with a stationary area where they simply laid down welded wire on the ground (cant remember dimensions but maybe 1x4?) To prevent digging but allowed grass.

Other suggestions I remember liking (possibly over multiple posts/pages)

-fake above ground 'tunnels'

-dirtbox for them to dig around in without ever getting too far

-bury plastic containers 3/4 so you can still remove lid. Add short tunnel into them
. Result is a place for momma that you can lift lid to access.

I've been planning on using all of these to some degree.

Having never raised rabbits I'm a bit wary myself... I want the freedom the colony provides them but it's a lot of setup up front that you need to get right.

I'm hoping to just decide on an area they can have and will not be making anything mobile.

Do you need the tractor to be movable? As mentioned I've been researching rabbit colonies for awhile (it's a next year project, hopefully).

I remember one forum I read mentioned they had great success with a stationary area where they simply laid down welded wire on the ground (cant remember dimensions but maybe 1x4?) To prevent digging but allowed grass.

Other suggestions I remember liking (possibly over multiple posts/pages)

-fake above ground 'tunnels'

-dirtbox for them to dig around in without ever getting too far

-bury plastic containers 3/4 so you can still remove lid. Add short tunnel into them
. Result is a place for momma that you can lift lid to access.

I've been planning on using all of these to some degree.

Having never raised rabbits I'm a bit wary myself... I want the freedom the colony provides them but it's a lot of setup up front that you need to get right.

I'm hoping to just decide on an area they can have and will not be making anything mobile.
I hope at least to make it movable so they always have fresh grass but I am not sure yet. I was considering use so type of grid that their feet could fit in between but their heads couldn't squeeze out of if they tried to dig. We'll see. Thx for the ideas BTW.

Back
Top Bottom