Serama hatch part 3 (and a few odds and ends!)

Pics
No, size isn't really what makes or breaks the deal. It's maturity. At 1 week, they are far too active to tolerate being under a broody that hasn't left the nest. After the chicks hatch, (or newly hatched chicks are placed under a broody) the broody takes anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days to leave the nest. One week old chicks would have wondered off way before that point. The chicks have also grown quite a bit, so they might not even recognise her as the mother. On the flip side, she might see them and realise that they're older, and hence, not hers. That last one doesn't play out well
Yeah. I don't want the little floofs getting hurt. So brooder duplex it is! Lol. Guess we will wait to see how Dolly's eggs do!

Btw how long can eggs just relax without a broody on top before they are in danger? I have a chicken who keeps being broody but only for a few hours each day. I take the eggs after she refuses to come back. Like is perched on top of the run with everyone else sleeping.

Sorry Friend, I've been out of touch with 24 chicks 10 ducklings and trying to find them :barnie homes. And a sick dog I'm out of the game. So now that ducklings have a home. I'm taking a break from hatching and concentrate of building 👷‍♀️ a duck pen. I will still keep up on all of my new friends 🧡
Sounds like a mess! Lol. Hope you find some peace in that chaos you have over there. ❤️

Btw btw....if Dolly gets off her eggs....and it's 85 here WITHOUT heat index (it's actually closer to 90-95 most days) then they should be okay for awhile right? She is never off more then 30 minutes and that's in the middle of the day. Plus someone always goes and sits on the eggs (I assume to lay one)

Btw how long can eggs just relax without a broody on top before they are in danger? I have a chicken who keeps being broody but only for a few hours each day. I take the eggs after she refuses to come back. Like is perched on top of the run with everyone else sleeping.

Not more than say 2 hours. That girl shouldn't be sitting, unless she commits more

Btw btw....if Dolly gets off her eggs....and it's 85 here WITHOUT heat index (it's actually closer to 90-95 most days) then they should be okay for awhile right? She is never off more then 30 minutes and that's in the middle of the day. Plus someone always goes and sits on the eggs (I assume to lay one)

Yes. It'll be fine

Back
Top Bottom