Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Warm, dry, with sunny spells. Four hours today.
The person who took the abandoned chick decided the chick would be better off with mum and siblings and after some discussion we decided to see if Fret would accept the chick now that it at least looked healthy and was mobile and alert.
I slid the chick under Fret once she had settled in the coop. One encouraging gentle push and the chick burrowed it's way under Fret without any fuss. I'm going to the field in the morning to watch Fret's reaction to having an addition. Hopefully this is going to work.:fl
The person who took the chick has done a great job and the chick is unrecognisable as the sickly floppy creature they got given. Thank you very much Irena.:hugs
I'll get some pictures tomorrow assuming the chick lives.
P5200788.JPG
P5200789.JPG
P5200790.JPG
P5200791.JPG

Mow had laid one egg and Carbon another which Mow was sitting on when I arrived. I took her off the nest, took the eggs away and completely stripped out the nest to bare washed plastic. Mow did go and sit in the other nest at roost time, she was out with the others all afternoon, but when I closed them up for the night Mow was on the roost bar.

The person who took the abandoned chick decided the chick would be better off with mum and siblings and after some discussion we decided to see if Fret would accept the chick now that it at least looked healthy and was mobile and alert.
It's hard being a lonely only.

Warm, dry, with sunny spells. Four hours today.
I slid the chick under Fret once she had settled in the coop. One encouraging gentle push and the chick burrowed it's way under Fret without any fuss. I'm going to the field in the morning to watch Fret's reaction to having an addition. Hopefully this is going to work.:fl
The person who took the chick has done a great job and the chick is unrecognisable as the sickly floppy creature they got given. Thank you very much Irena.:hugs
I'll get some pictures tomorrow assuming the chick lives.
View attachment 3838537View attachment 3838538View attachment 3838539View attachment 3838540

Mow had laid one egg and Carbon another which Mow was sitting on when I arrived. I took her off the nest, took the eggs away and completely stripped out the nest to bare washed plastic. Mow did go and sit in the other nest at roost time, she was out with the others all afternoon, but when I closed them up for the night Mow was on the roost bar.
Here's hoping for successful integration.
:fl

Martha's acting broody again. If she's sitting in the nesting box when/if the incubator chicks hatch I may just slide them underneath her. She'd do a better job than I could.
IMG_20240519_144740438~2.jpg

Tomorrow is Lockdown, Day 18.

Back
Top Bottom