Walking with the duck(s)

myduckduckie

Chirping
Dec 3, 2022
Do you guys go on a walk with our duck(s)?
And do you walk him/them with a leash or not?

I walk him without a leash but i am thinking about maybe buying one.

Where are you walking them? you have to think of potential risks. Predators for one. neighbors dogs can get a duck without your being able to stop it. Cars coming down the road and a duck walking out in front of it. Taking them for walks in public parks where they will be contact with wildlife. I take mine for walks on their property but it's fenced in so I don't have to worry about mine getting hurt from circumstances beyond my control

we love taking our ducks out in public places, people always get so excited when they see them!

they wear harnesses everywhere so people know that they are pets, and diapers when we go to indoor places. you don't need a leash if your duck is imprinted and follows you, but if u can get a stroller that's a better way to take them places instead of having them walk for too long at a time. mine love their strollers because they know it means we're doing somewhere. just call ahead to anywhere your going to make sure they allow animals, and if a website says dog friendly that means all animals are allowed

Attachments

• A87D78A3-A142-4C5E-8C89-1CFB2FD36F93.jpeg
    A87D78A3-A142-4C5E-8C89-1CFB2FD36F93.jpeg
    457.5 KB · Views: 2
  • F267A971-11BB-4BBA-9560-35B198E0980F.jpeg
    F267A971-11BB-4BBA-9560-35B198E0980F.jpeg
    511.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 606D1CAA-31A4-4FF0-AE10-016FA01B36C3.jpeg
    606D1CAA-31A4-4FF0-AE10-016FA01B36C3.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 2
  • BB9D7801-77DE-4476-A6F7-A182B1E66CA2.jpeg
    BB9D7801-77DE-4476-A6F7-A182B1E66CA2.jpeg
    469.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 7DD9BBB7-5091-48AA-B034-B095C510CE6B.jpeg
    7DD9BBB7-5091-48AA-B034-B095C510CE6B.jpeg
    373.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 68FB1B87-464D-4C96-880A-5AB100D025E0.jpeg
    68FB1B87-464D-4C96-880A-5AB100D025E0.jpeg
    361.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 44F707D4-BFD6-4F36-AB18-AEDAAB0A009B.jpeg
    44F707D4-BFD6-4F36-AB18-AEDAAB0A009B.jpeg
    526.5 KB · Views: 2
  • EBA485EF-28C7-40BC-960B-02AD320B256E.jpeg
    EBA485EF-28C7-40BC-960B-02AD320B256E.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 2
Where are you walking them? you have to think of potential risks. Predators for one. neighbors dogs can get a duck without your being able to stop it. Cars coming down the road and a duck walking out in front of it. Taking them for walks in public parks where they will be contact with wildlife. I take mine for walks on their property but it's fenced in so I don't have to worry about mine getting hurt from circumstances beyond my control
Where i live the only predators are dogs and cats.
I walk in front of my home with him he follows me but loves to run to people when he sees them. But today while i was walking with him just after posting this a very young boy came in the street with a big pitbull type dog that he couldnt control and i picked my duck up and the dog came straight to me jumping so i pushed him away with my leg and put duckie in the car. I talked to the boy afterwards and told him that that was to close and asked him if he walks him often he replied yes it scares me to dead for my duck cat and the 4 runner ducks that live by the water in front of my home.
So i think a leash is Needed.

we love taking our ducks out in public places, people always get so excited when they see them!

they wear harnesses everywhere so people know that they are pets, and diapers when we go to indoor places. you don't need a leash if your duck is imprinted and follows you, but if u can get a stroller that's a better way to take them places instead of having them walk for too long at a time. mine love their strollers because they know it means we're doing somewhere. just call ahead to anywhere your going to make sure they allow animals, and if a website says dog friendly that means all animals are allowed
They look amazing:D

I walk in front of my home with him he follows me but loves to run to people when he sees them. But today while i was walking with him just after posting this a very young boy came in the street with a big pitbull type dog that he couldnt control and i picked my duck up and the dog came straight to me jumping so i pushed him away with my leg and put duckie in the car. I talked to the boy afterwards and told him that that was to close and asked him if he walks him often he replied yes it scares me to dead for my duck cat and the 4 runner ducks that live by the water in front of my home.
What would a leash do? you're still going to have to pick him up fast. And you still have no comfort that the dog wouldn't jump on you and hurt your duck or you.

This is why you don't walk prey animals.
A dog is used to seeing other dogs or cats, ducks are not a usual animal dogs see on walks. A leash would not have helped.
It's mentally unhealthy for your duck to be that bonded to you, he need to be safe at home, with other ducks. Walks will just expose your duck to disease, stress and threats.

A dog is used to seeing other dogs or cats, ducks are not a usual animal dogs see on walks. A leash would not have helped.
It's mentally unhealthy for your duck to be that bonded to you, he need to be safe at home, with other ducks. Walks will just expose your duck to disease, stress and threats.
people need to control their dogs. i also have a dog, he is always leashed when we go places and never allowed to interact with strangers animals (even other dogs)

if you can't control your dog, leave him at home. your dog doesn't have anymore of a right to walk then other peoples pets do.

he loves to go outside to meet people. he likes to be petted on his breast. he has a safe space with a pool in the backyard. His a saved duckling so there was no otherway then that he would bond to me and my family. His like my child. when he was a duckling he always slept next to my bed. Duckie is the love of my life i can give him kisses on his head and the top of his beak.

But i will only walk in the backyard with him then. I didnt even think about diseases or other dangers.

Back
Top Bottom