What is my chicken doing?

Babnboots

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2020
I have a two plus year old Buff Orpington that has been solo for a few months after losing three to heat and one unknown cause. The last four days she has been inside the coop all puffed up. She went through molt in Sept/Oct, for a minute I thought she was going through it again but she's not losing feathers. The next thought was is she trying to hatch but there is nothing with her to hatch. I can get her out to have worms and get a drink, she seems to be eating and she isn't pooping inside so my guess is she is getting out to go. I've got 4 week old chicks coming along so I put her in a kennel with them to see what she'd do. All she did was eat their feed. She barely acknowledged them. She looks like aTom turkey all puffed up.

Attachments

• IMG_20240514_183124786.jpg
    IMG_20240514_183124786.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 4
A chicken can still become broody even without eggs to sit on. I'm guessing that is what is going on.
It is normal for a hen to ignore chicks that she doesn't consider hers. Sometimes broody hens can be quite mean to chicks they didn't hatch.

Sounds like she is actually doing pretty well with your chicks. She may not pay much attention to them. Hopefully once they hit point of lay they will be a content flock.

Back
Top Bottom