Bedding question???

CJD

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Hi everyone -

I've been lurking around here for a while, learning lots of interesting things about chickens. I have 27 - 2 week old chicks (born on St. Pattys Day) in a 6'x4' brooder box with 2 lamps (red bulbs) and pine shavings. The little darlings are thriving and growing at a fast rate, and we're having a ball watching them.

My question is about the bedding. I've been reading about deep litter bedding, and I'm wondering if I should be doing that. Right now, I'm taking all the shavings out of the box every other day and cleaning the floor, but I'm going through an awful lot of shavings. Can anyone give me some ideas on how they manage their bedding?

Thanks in advance!

Mary

when you are brooding chicks in your brooder.you need to change your shavings every 2 or 3 days.or when it gets to stinking pretty bad,the deep litter method is used in the henhouse when they are grown.if you put shavings down in henhouse its called deep litter.because you add shavings every so often.an clean the shavings out 2 or 3 times a yr.

Thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I thought.

I do clean the shavings out every 2 days or so, but I still have a problem with the poop sticking to the little chicks feet. Is there anything I can do for that?

Mary

well when i brood chicks i [put the shavings 2 or 3in deep in the brooder.ive never had trouble with poop sticking to bottom of their feet.so i dont know what to tell you there.

Back
Top Bottom