Bielefelder mix chicks- auto sexing?

@NatJ Thanks for clearing the up. Is there a way to tell the difference between splash and blue with a lot of silver? Would both of his parents have had to be blue or splash in order to produce him?

What, if any. Is the difference between black and white?

Here’s the 2 Biele mixes again. MJ was the chick with the lighter head from the initial post. Today his comb popped. Can’t identify barring yet, but the comb suggests male. Pimento is the chick from the initial post with the dark spot on its head.
IMG_8495.jpeg

IMG_8499.jpeg
IMG_8498.jpeg

IMG_8497.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8503.jpeg
    IMG_8503.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 1
@NatJ Thanks for clearing the up. Is there a way to tell the difference between splash and blue with a lot of silver?
By looking at them, probably, but I'm personally not very good at it.

If you are breeding them, you can often work it out by the offspring.
A splash chicken has two blue genes.
A blue chicken has one blue gene and one not-blue gene.
A black chicken has no blue genes.

Breeding to a black chicken (no blue genes), a blue would produce some blue chicks and some black chicks. A splash would produce just blue chicks.

Breeding to a splash chicken (2 blue genes), a blue would produce some blue chicks and some splash chicks. A splash would produce just splash chicks.

The black/blue/splash would apply to whatever parts of the chicken would otherwise be black, not to the areas that would be gold or silver.

Would both of his parents have had to be blue or splash in order to produce him?
Yes, to get a chicken that shows splash, he must inherit the blue gene from both parents, so both the mother and the father must both be blue or splash. If one parent has black (no blue gene), they cannot produce a splash chick.

(But just to make life complicated, occasionally a "blue" chicken is such a dark color it gets mistaken for black. Some of those get recognized when they produce chicks that obviously inherited a blue gene from them.)

Um, I don't quite understand what you are asking here.

Here’s the 2 Biele mixes again. MJ was the chick with the lighter head from the initial post. Today his comb popped. Can’t identify barring yet, but the comb suggests male. Pimento is the chick from the initial post with the dark spot on its head.
I'm not noticing barring either. But if the mother has barring, then her sons must also have barring-- so if you are sure of who the mother is, and if the chick really is male, then it would have to be one of those cases where the barring is not very visible because of the other patterning in the feathers.

Barring is much easier to spot on black chicks!

Sorry. This was supposed to ask about silver and white, not black.

I have a bad habit of BYCing while sleepy… Some people embarrass themselves by drunk texting, but I prefer to embarrass myself by sleepy/blurry-eyed BYC posts where I type the wrong words, use bad grammar, and sometimes even write entire incomprehensible gibberish. 😂

Sorry. This was supposed to ask about silver and white, not black.
White is a color you see on the chicken. There are a number of different genes that can cause white, plus a few more that cause colors light enough to look "white" in some situations.

Silver is caused specifically by the Silver gene, that turns gold/red shades into white. So it is white caused by a specific gene, rather than white caused by any other gene.

Dominant White is a gene that turns black into white.

Because chickens often have patterns of gold and black, you can find white in different places depending on which kind of "white" is present. For example: if you start with a Gold Laced Polish, you can add one kind of white to get a Silver Laced Polish (black edges on white feathers), or a different kind of white to get a Buff Laced Polish (white edges on gold feathers), or both to get a White Laced Silver Polish (which just looks white, so rather pointless to care if it is laced or not, unless you are trying to predict what chicks it can produce.)

Recessive white is a gene that turns all colors into white, but because it is recessive you only see the effects when a chicken inherits this from both parents.

Silver and Dominant White tend to be a bit leaky. Extreme examples would be Paint chickens (Dominant White with lots of black leakage) and Salmon Faverolles (Silver, but they sure do not look white!)

Recessive white tends not to leak as much.

The barring gene causes white stripes across the feathers, and the mottling gene causes white tips on feathers (or sometimes white on more than the tips).

Splash does not seem to cause a nice clean white, but it certainly does cause some light color that is close to white.

Lavender also causes light colors (black becomes a light gray, red becomes a light yellow.)

Cream is a gene that dilutes gold to a light yellowish shade. That can sometimes look almost-white as well.

Back
Top Bottom