Can You Use Ivermectin Pour-on On Geese?

There are multiple versions of ivermectin 1% .. and 5% and some say pour on and others say injectable . Do you have a picture of the one that is safe to use orally for geese? The info I had gotten was around 3 drops orally of ivermectin... No one seems to clarify which one can be used for what lol. I really am desperate for clarification. Please?
@casportpony

Ivermectin is not a very good poultry de-wormer if that's what you want it for. Something like Safeguard or Valbazen would be much better.

If you really want to use the ivermectin you have three choices.
  1. The 1% (10 mg/ml) injectable for cattle - The dose is 0.05 ml per pound of body weight orally.
  2. The 0.05% (5 mg/ml) Pour on for cattle - The dose is 0.1 ml per pound of bodyweight *topically*.
  3. The 1.87% paste for horses (18.7 mg/ml) - The dose is 0.02 ml per pound of body weight orally.
There are multiple versions of ivermectin 1%
The 1% is injectable for cattle and can be given orally to all poultry.
There is no 5%, but there is 0.05%. The 0.05% is the pour on for cattle and can be used on all poultry.
some say pour on and others say injectable .
Injectable given orally would be better.
The info I had gotten was around 3 drops orally of ivermectin
Three drops are about 0.06 ml and nowhere near enough to treat a large bird.
No one seems to clarify which one can be used for what lol. I really am desperate for clarification. Please?
Both can be used.

But if your goose has worms I really think you should get some Valbazen or Safeguard, I use ivermectin for treating lice, mites, and fleas, not worms.

Ivermectin is not a very good poultry de-wormer if that's what you want it for. Something like Safeguard or Valbazen would be much better.

If you really want to use the ivermectin you have three choices.
  1. The 1% (10 mg/ml) injectable for cattle - The dose is 0.05 ml per pound of body weight orally.
  2. The 0.05% (5 mg/ml) Pour on for cattle - The dose is 0.1 ml per pound of bodyweight *topically*.
  3. The 1.87% paste for horses (18.7 mg/ml) - The dose is 0.02 ml per pound of body weight orally.

The 1% is injectable for cattle and can be given orally to all poultry.

There is no 5%, but there is 0.05%. The 0.05% is the pour on for cattle and can be used on all poultry.

Injectable given orally would be better.

Three drops are about 0.06 ml and nowhere near enough to treat a large bird.

Both can be used.

But if your goose has worms I really think you should get some Valbazen or Safeguard, I use ivermectin for treating lice, mites, and fleas, not worms.
Thank you for the information! I'm getting the feeling that safeguard is the way to go, based on majority vote :)

Yes you can use it topically and the cool thing about Ivermectin
is it kills both internal and external parasites.
1 ml (or cc) on the skin for a goose, 1/2 ml for a chicken.
I put it on their back between their wings.
SO easy to use and they get a complete dose unlike if you put it in water
like I have heard some suggest
Make sure to give a 2nd dose a couple weeks after you've administered the first dose.
Late Autumn is a good time to deworm livestock.
Doing it after the ground freezes will prevent them from picking up new parasites.
There's a link on my websites tip page for a website that explains this in detail.
Hope this helps.
smile.png
I have geese that when showing signs of worm I've been able to apply topically between wings. That has worked. My question is I have a flock of not so handled geese. 1 is showing signs so if I can't grab her without being mauled to death if I can spray with a squeeze bottle close enough to get some on her feathers does anyone know if it will absorb that way. And I plan on grinding up safeguard to mix with food. But this is
Make sure to give a 2nd dose a couple weeks after you've administered the first dose.
Doing it after the ground freezes will prevent them from picking up new parasites.
There's a link on my websites tip page for a website that explains this in detail.
Hope this helps.
smile.png
Hope this helps.
smile.png
I have used ivermectin (cattle) before on a sick goose showing severe signs of worms and it was effective. My question is I have a flock you can't catch, they came with my farm. 1 is sick showing severe signs of worms. Can I show how get close enough to get some on her feathers? With it absorb that way. I di plan on grinding up safeguard to add to feed for entire flock just as precautions.

I have geese that when showing signs of worm I've been able to apply topically between wings. That has worked. My question is I have a flock of not so handled geese. 1 is showing signs so if I can't grab her without being mauled to death if I can spray with a squeeze bottle close enough to get some on her feathers does anyone know if it will absorb that way. And I plan on grinding up safeguard to mix with food. But this is

I have used ivermectin (cattle) before on a sick goose showing severe signs of worms and it was effective. My question is I have a flock you can't catch, they came with my farm. 1 is sick showing severe signs of worms. Can I show how get close enough to get some on her feathers? With it absorb that way. I di plan on grinding up safeguard to add to feed for entire flock just as precautions.
Getting it on their feathers will do nothing especially with waterfowl as they have oils. You may need a farm vet if you're unable to catch and apply. Otherwise maybe you can get some safeguard into some food, but this is just idea, I've never done it.

Getting it on their feathers will do nothing especially with waterfowl as they have oils. You may need a farm vet if you're unable to catch and apply. Otherwise maybe you can get some safeguard into some food, but this is just idea, I've never done it.
I mentioned this morning, I was able to catch here in my spring after her flock left her. I there a towel over her so I could quickly get her without stressing her too much. Was able to get a bit on her neck where she had a little bare spot from mating season. Kept them in today and she is so far a little better. Have started the whole flock that she's with on safeguard grinded up and sprinkled on fresh romaine w/ their brewers yeast. Much better assurance that they will eat🙏 Thank you 😊 I hope I save her.

I think you need to give it orally for worms.
I've saved a one goose before by giving him a bit of ivermectin in between wings. That's why I wanted to try again except these geese don't get handled hardly at all. We have a mutual expect for each other. They know their given names, unlock and lock in times, outta of mommy's garden, out of road 😒 things like that! 😄

Back
Top Bottom