City Issued a Citation and claims we aren’t allowed to have chickens due to neighbor’s complaint. What are my options?

Pics
I wonder if you went above your city council to your state representative for help. On a parallel note, the State of Ohio legislature ruled last year that homeowners are allowed to rent out space for short term lodging (like Airbnb), and the ruling stated that this decision overrules any city or township ordinances.
I’m not sure that it’s a statewide issue, most cities in MA allow for chickens. It’s just a few cities in Western mass that limit or
Does the ordinance say ''chickens'' or ''poultry'' or maybe ''livestock''? As wording is very important in law. If it says only chickens you should print that out with the date, as well as screenshot it and you can get other birds like quail or ducks. Even if they change it later I think if you had them already you don't have to get rid of them.
I believe it says poultry or livestock definitely not just chickens.

Well, not really much updates about amending the ordinance.
I am consistently reaching out to the council member who said something should be done by the end of May.
He told me it was delayed to sometime in June. So MAYBE this month.

The letter said no chickens, right?
What about..

View attachment 3851461
DUCKS?
Absolutely. I got 5 little around 2 week old muscovy ducklings. A friend said his ducks hatched too many ducklings and he wanted to give me a few so I took them.

View attachment 3851463View attachment 3851464View attachment 3851465
View attachment 3851467
I don’t know how long I will have them, but I have people who can take them in a heart beet if need be.
They are not very loud so I’m not too worried about neighbors hearing and reporting, but even if they do, city needs a warrant to get on my property, and they need proof where in the letter it says I can’t have ducks. Then they’ll send a letter which will typically give us another week to get rid of them.

So we’ll see how this plays out I’m just happy to have these right now it brings me joy. They’re the cutest thing ever when they splash in their little pool and stay in there for hours.

Also something worth noting is that it’s my first time having ducklings!!
So we actually did get another complaint, another call today from the city saying we need to get them off the property, move the coop, and fix a few other things in the yard, or we’ll get fined.

So I brought the little ducklings to my cousin, he has a few toddlers who will take good care of them and they have a little pond they are working on so they’re going to have a great home.

I’m in the process of getting a lawyer, the city cannot tell me to move my EMPTY coop away from the property line as far as I’m aware. They also mentioned things like the parts car needs to be removed, shed needs to be brought farther from the line. Those are some things he mentioned from the original visit, but this time he wants the coop moved even though it’s EMPTY. That’s new.
(this was just over the phone, they didn’t come to the house or on the property).

IMG_3508.jpeg
IMG_3475.jpeg
IMG_3506.jpeg
IMG_3516.jpeg

Here they are at their new home.

So we actually did get another complaint, another call today from the city saying we need to get them off the property, move the coop, and fix a few other things in the yard, or we’ll get fined.

So I brought the little ducklings to my cousin, he has a few toddlers who will take good care of them and they have a little pond they are working on so they’re going to have a great home.

I’m in the process of getting a lawyer, the city cannot tell me to move my EMPTY coop away from the property line as far as I’m aware. They also mentioned things like the parts car needs to be removed, shed needs to be brought farther from the line. Those are some things he mentioned from the original visit, but this time he wants the coop moved even though it’s EMPTY. That’s new.
(this was just over the phone, they didn’t come to the house or on the property).
Someone is out to make your life difficult. If your shed etc conformed to code at the time of build, you don't have to do anything. Car parts etc are your property and unless they are out front blocking pedestrian access etc, there is nothing anyone can do.

Someone is out to make your life difficult. If your shed etc conformed to code at the time of build, you don't have to do anything. Car parts etc are your property and unless they are out front blocking pedestrian access etc, there is nothing anyone can do.
Some of that depends on how the rules are written in that area. In some places, if the car parts are visible from the street, they CAN do something (examples: charge a fine if the homeowner does not remove the items. Or pay someone else to move them and then send the bill to the homeowner.)

I agree that getting a lawyer is a very good idea at this point. That can help sort out which things you can be required to do, and which ones someone demands but cannot actually enforce.

Some of that depends on how the rules are written in that area. In some places, if the car parts are visible from the street, they CAN do something (examples: charge a fine if the homeowner does not remove the items. Or pay someone else to move them and then send the bill to the homeowner.)
Exactly this. Depends totally on where you are. Where I am, they absolutely can and have done this. I filed complaints and the county followed through. The person had to take down a shed and other outbuildings. This is Riverfront, very strict rules, but the sheds were to close to the road, not the River.

Back
Top Bottom