Coccidiousis in Broiler Show Chickens for 4-H

J2AKChickens

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2023
Hello All,

I had a few questions regarding the discovery of coccidiousis in our flock of show broilers for my daughters. We are treating them, but still losing at least one if not more a day. We started with 52 and are down to the low thirties if not high twenties. Show is is on March 28th and with the way things are looking we aren't sure they will each have 3 birds to show, but also they are still fairly small birds. What we are wondering is what size are broilers typically at a 4H show and is it really worth continuing with this project if we are still losing birds and they aren't growing very rapidly. Also, another major concern for us is that we do not want this to possibly sneak over an infect our layer hens, as those are more our pets and treated as such, we care for them very much. If anyone could offer us some advise on how you might handle this situation if you've been a long time broiler shower and have experience we would greatly appreciate the help. Sadly, our extention agent has not offered us much help and we feel like we are in a sink or swim situation and we've no clue which direction to even start. Thankfully, our daughters are very understanding of the situation and get that we might have to make some hard decisions, this project has not been overly enjoyable to them. Also, they don't want to risk our "fancy flock" as we call them. Again, any help is appreciated.

thank you,
Ashley

Are you sure it's Coccidosis? How are you treating them?
We are treating them with Corid, it was recommended to us by a vet tech. We did speak with a vet tech and who also raises chickens, sent videos and photos, so she was able to diagnose from those things. We could send the chicken in for testing, but probably wouldn't get results back in time. Not all chickens are exhibiting the behaviors, we think it's just moving through the flock, but they begin acting lethargic, runny, mudd colored poo, decrease eating and drinking and then they simply lay down and fluff out, refusing to get back up again and then just pass away. Thankfully my girls are understanding and we know this is our first year with broilers and they seem to be very sensitive to all things. I might also note that we were following the guidelines given to us by our extension agent to the letter and unfortunately there wasn't any literature offered in the learning process that disease could come up. The agents are the ones who purchase and give the chickens to us to have every one on the same level playing field, but she's not reported back on if we are the only ones having this issue or if others who also recieved their chickens are as well. Long answer, sorry!

Do know of anything else? We are open to all possibilities at this point and how to help them. We are giving2.5 ml per one gallon of water, from the Corid website.

As for what size your birds should be at the show, you should have something called a 4-H exhibit book, or something similar, and in it, it will give you the exact specifications for each project. In our county in IL, our broilers have to be 3-5 lbs, and our roasters have to be 5-8 lbs.

If you don’t have a copy of this book, call your 4-H extension coordinator or your 4-H poultry superintendent and ask them if they can help you find it.

another major concern for us is that we do not want this to possibly sneak over an infect our layer hens,
I'll just address this part. Your hens possibly gave Coccidiosis to the broilers if it is Coccidiosis, though that is not for certain. Coccidiosis is caused by a protozoa that can live in the soil. It thrives in wet soil, especially if that soil has chicken poop in it. Dirty water with poop in it is also dangerous.

Your chickens having a few of those protozoa is not a problem, I consider it a good thing, especially for your laying flock. If your chickens are exposed to some of those protozoa for two to three weeks they develop an immunity to that strain of protozoa. There are several different strains of that bug, each attacks a different part of the digestive tract. Some strains are more dangerous than others.

The problem comes in when the numbers of that protozoa get out of hand. They overwhelm their system. Again, that protozoa thrives in warm wet conditions, especially with chicken poop present. What typically happens is that the protozoa is either there in the soil to start with or gets introduced. In cool dry conditions the numbers usually stay under control and the chickens develop immunity to that strain. That possibly happened with your layers. In warm wet conditions the chickens eat so many of those protozoa that their system gets overwhelmed. One thing that makes coccidiosis more of a problem with broilers is that the broilers poop so much it is hard to keep their area dry. Some strains are more dangerous anyway.

I don't know how you are managing your broilers, how you are keeping them separate from your layer flock. If coccidiosis is in your soil then your layer flock has been exposed. You or the kids may have carried it from one flock to the other on your clothing (especially shoes) or on the buckets you are using for feed or water. A songbird may have introduced it. It is possible the chicks brought it in with them. Those chicks should have come from a hatchery where the risk of exposure to coccidiosis is small, but they may have been exposed at the distribution point. All it takes is one person with dirty boots or shoes.

So what can you do? It takes a couple of days for that protozoa to develop enough in wet conditions to be a problem when the chickens eat it. So keep the water clean, don't give it that two days. Keep the area where they are as dry as reasonable. With broilers that can be challenging. Keep them on that Corid regimen. I'd try to find a vet that can do a fecal float to determine if it is coccidiosis. A vet should be able to do that right in their office, no need to send it away for testing.

I can't think of another disease that would have those symptoms, but I'm not a vet. My thoughts run to a possibility of poisoning. Can you think of anything that might be a problem, cleaners or pesticides maybe? Moldy feed? I remember one time where someone's kids were giving old contaminated gerbil food as a treat. It doesn't sound like it but how are you heating them? Could carbon monoxide poisoning be a cause? I think coccidiosis is a distinct possibility but you can't automatically rule other things out.

How much Corid are you using?

Do you have a way to separate the sickest chickens from the seemingly healthier ones?

In our fair our Broilers have to weigh 5lb with no top limit. It is different for every fair. As someone else mentioned you should be able to call your local extention office to get the poultry advisors number and give them a call. Another option is if you can find last years fair book all of the rules will be outlined inside. Some lf these are able to find online.

I can't really think of anything else that would cause this.

Back
Top Bottom