Friday, April 26th, 2024 Update:

The two White Sport Legbars were taken from the mother hen because she would attack them when she saw them, but not when they were laying under her. She would not let them eat.

Copper has taken to the two Lavender Wyandotte chicks though, so she still has two. She has not shown any signs of aggression to them.

Today when I went and refilled the chicken's food, including Copper and her baby's food, Copper was picking out pieces of food for the chicks and laying it on the floor for the chicks to eat on.

I am raising the two legbars inside with some other chicks that I am intending to sell. So far do good with the legbars.

Does anyone know why she would accept the two Wyandottes but not the two Legbars?

Attachments

• 20240425_103235.jpg
    20240425_103235.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 7
Friday, April 26th, 2024 Update:

The two White Sport Legbars were taken from the mother hen because she would attack them when she saw them, but not when they were laying under her. She would not let them eat.

Copper has taken to the two Lavender Wyandotte chicks though, so she still has two. She has not shown any signs of aggression to them.

Today when I went and refilled the chicken's food, including Copper and her baby's food, Copper was picking out pieces of food for the chicks and laying it on the floor for the chicks to eat on.

I am raising the two legbars inside with some other chicks that I am intending to sell. So far do good with the legbars.

Does anyone know why she would accept the two Wyandottes but not the two Legbars?
If she feels they look different from her other chicks she may not like them. Also the babies may not have bonded with the mama. Bonding is a two way street.

My 5yr old hen who was never broody, went broody last year, she successfully raised 4 foster chicks I shoved under her.

As for integrating with the flock it depends on the status of the hen. Sophia my first time geriatric Mama is very high ranking so she had no issues with anyone pestering her.

But my two co-broody silkies are lower ranking and were bothered a lot when the babies were very small, once they were a few weeks old and could run and hide I let them fully out with the flock unattended. Otherwise I was keeping an close eye on them.

I have had hand raised chicks fulling integrated by 2 weeks of age. In many ways my hand raised chicks are easier to integrate as there is no grumpy mama hen picking fights!

Now I have loads of space and hiding places in my barn, they can hide in hay or in different stalls, and under things. So for you your setup my require more close watching to make sure no one is being hurt.

Your chicks are adorable BTW!
😊

If she feels they look different from her other chicks she may not like them. Also the babies may not have bonded with the mama. Bonding is a two way street.

My 5yr old hen who was never broody, went broody last year, she successfully raised 4 foster chicks I shoved under her.

As for integrating with the flock it depends on the status of the hen. Sophia my first time geriatric Mama is very high ranking so she had no issues with anyone pestering her.

But my two co-broody silkies are lower ranking and were bothered a lot when the babies were very small, once they were a few weeks old and could run and hide I let them fully out with the flock unattended. Otherwise I was keeping an close eye on them.

I have had hand raised chicks fulling integrated by 2 weeks of age. In many ways my hand raised chicks are easier to integrate as there is no grumpy mama hen picking fights!

Now I have loads of space and hiding places in my barn, they can hide in hay or in different stalls, and under things. So for you your setup my require more close watching to make sure no one is being hurt.

Your chicks are adorable BTW!
😊
Thank you! I don't quite know the ranking of my maran hen but I don't think she is on top. So far so good with the chicks!

Monday April 29th, 2024 Update

On Saturday I let Copper and her chicks out of the cages area and into the main coop. It started with a little conflict with the mother hen but not with the chicks. That only.lasted 5 minutes and everything was just fine.

Saturday night I went into the coop to check on her and saw that she was back in the caged area and in the nest that I had put in the caged area for her. (I had left the caged area open so her and her chicks could stay in there. That is where they have been getting fed.)

Copper seems to only let her chicks out into the run when I am there. When I approach she peeks her head out of the coop, lets out some clucking noises and brings her chicks out into the run.

I fed my chickens some plants and chicken scraps and Copper was teaching the chicks how to eat them as well as running and stealing pieces from the other chickens to bring to her chicks.

So far she is a good mama except for that one bump of her rejecting 2 chicks.

In the last picture, my rooster (Who probably thinks they are his chicks), was helping Copper find food for the chicks. He is such a sweet rooster!

Attachments

• 20240427_112836.jpg
    20240427_112836.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240427_194456.jpg
    20240427_194456.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240429_160247.jpg
    20240429_160247.jpg
    850.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240429_163431.jpg
    20240429_163431.jpg
    798.8 KB · Views: 7
Monday April 29th, 2024 Update

On Saturday I let Copper and her chicks out of the cages area and into the main coop. It started with a little conflict with the mother hen but not with the chicks. That only.lasted 5 minutes and everything was just fine.

Saturday night I went into the coop to check on her and saw that she was back in the caged area and in the nest that I had put in the caged area for her. (I had left the caged area open so her and her chicks could stay in there. That is where they have been getting fed.)

Copper seems to only let her chicks out into the run when I am there. When I approach she peeks her head out of the coop, lets out some clucking noises and brings her chicks out into the run.

I fed my chickens some plants and chicken scraps and Copper was teaching the chicks how to eat them as well as running and stealing pieces from the other chickens to bring to her chicks.

So far she is a good mama except for that one bump of her rejecting 2 chicks.

In the last picture, my rooster (Who probably thinks they are his chicks), was helping Copper find food for the chicks. He is such a sweet rooster!
She seems to have a pretty good grip on everything. What a good boy you have there! This is a pic from this past weekend, you can see some of my ladies, my broody and her chicks to the right, and some of the 4-5 week old grow outs on the left. Everyone minds their space. I know how scary it can be to have your first hen raising chicks, but they have been doing this for a long time without our help😉

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240427_142226_Blink.jpg
    Screenshot_20240427_142226_Blink.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 5
She seems to have a pretty good grip on everything. What a good boy you have there! This is a pic from this past weekend, you can see some of my ladies, my broody and her chicks to the right, and some of the 4-5 week old grow outs on the left. Everyone minds their space. I know how scary it can be to have your first hen raising chicks, but they have been doing this for a long time without our help😉
It gives you the same worry as having some new chicks and worrying about them the first couple nights. 😅

So far she has shown to be a good mother. I have no issue raising the 2 she rejected.

Back
Top Bottom