Doxycycline 10% dilution for a 1kg Silkie

georgiegoose

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2022
Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on medication as one of our silkies has been having some trouble with a mycoplasma flare-up. We have given her water-soluble Tylan prior and believe the dose was possibly too weak (0.5g per litre), though we did see some improvement. We are going to try doxycycline 10% but are unsure of the correct dilution in water for a chicken her size, I know many others have used doxycycline for treating mycoplasma symptoms in silkies so felt it was best to ask people here who have used it before. She weighs nearly 1kg and she's also currently on baytril/enrofloxacin.

Thanks! :)

She weighs nearly 1kg and she's also currently on baytril/enrofloxacin.

Photo labels and of the packages you have? (Doxy and Tylosin)

If you are giving the correct dose of Baytril and it's still not making a difference in symptoms, then it's unlikely that you are dealing with MG.
Baytril is one of the most powerful abx you can get.

Photo labels and of the packages you have? (Doxy and Tylosin)

If you are giving the correct dose of Baytril and it's still not making a difference in symptoms, then it's unlikely that you are dealing with MG.
Baytril is one of the most powerful abx you can get.
She was originally on tylosin water and clavaseptin which didn't totally clear up symptoms, though definitely did make some improvements. We have had mycoplasma before in our flock and used baytril + tylo water last time we had a flare-up which worked fabulously.

I used up tylo powder from our other visit to the vet and recently ran out, so taking this chance to try an alternative.

She has only started the baytril today so have yet to see if her symptoms improve in the next few days, and the doxy is just an alternative to the tylo here. I'm wondering if 0.1g per litre seems too diluted to make much of a difference, and if others have found it works well for keeping mycoplasma symptoms at bay 🤔

Again.
Post photos of the label and packaging of the products you have.
There's so many different products now it's hard to give you an answer unless we know the specifics.
Apologies, it wasn't letting me attach anything earlier. Hopefully these labels are clear enough to read, the first image is the leaflet information for the baytril. I am currently giving her one daily of the baytril tablets for five days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230323-144059_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230323-144059_eBay.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230323_143521.jpg
    20230323_143521.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230323_143318.jpg
    20230323_143318.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 11
Apologies, it wasn't letting me attach anything earlier. Hopefully these labels are clear enough to read, the first image is the leaflet information for the baytril. I am currently giving her one daily of the baytril tablets for five days.
Hi I have a Silkie who I believe has Mycoplasma. Where did you get the Baytril from and have you found if a certain medicine works best?

Hi I have a Silkie who I believe has Mycoplasma. Where did you get the Baytril from and have you found if a certain medicine works best?
Here's your current thread.

In your previous thread it was suggested to use Tylosin/Tylan to treat symptoms of Mycoplasma along with a link to where you can order it online.

Baytril is a very strong antibiotic, it could be used to treat Mycoplasma if you want to use it. Links below where you can purchase Baytril or Tylosin.
Tylosin/Tylan can be used to help treat symptoms as well. You may be able to find Tylan50 at your TSC, if not, you'll need to order online.

https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder?_pos=1&_sid=78c9c569b&_ss=r
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-generic
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Back
Top Bottom