Injured Duck

DucklingMama3

Chirping
May 4, 2023
My adult duck was attached by a cat. The cat pounced on her and started dragging her. The cat let go of her and we picked her up. No puncture wounds. She Holds her head up, eats a little, drinks, but can’t stay standing or walk, she just falls forward and to the right. Any chance of recovery? Anything to help with inflammation? I read chopped grapes with turmeric, but I don’t know. We don’t have any vets that treat ducks around here.

Thank you!

Photos?

I'd recheck for injuries that are hidden under feathers, look for bruising and abrasions on the legs/feet.

Work her through shock. Electrolytes would be a good idea. Keep her calm and separated in a quiet area.

I’ve been giving her poultry cell in her water. Any other suggestions?

I’m trying to keep her dry, she seems to pee and poop fine and a lot. I’ve rinsed her belly and dried her a little with a towel, she doesn’t seem to be preening herself, so she’s staying wet which isn’t good. It’s cold and rainy here but I was going to try putting her in a kiddy pool to see if she can swim when it gets warmer tomorrow (supposed to be 75-80 tomorrow). She is separated and doesn’t seem too upset when I try to pick her up anymore. I checked her last night again and still don’t see any wounds. Her feet are definitely good. She can move both her legs and feet (she tried to kick them) she just has no balance. I’ve checked her head and neck too and nothing. She does lift her head up and keep it up.

Attachments

• IMG_8996.jpeg
    IMG_8996.jpeg
    743.9 KB · Views: 4
Poor girl!

Even is you don't see wounds or abrasions, sometimes they can suffer internal injuries or just trauma from an attack.

I'd keep her eating/drinking. Poultry Cell is good, but I'd consider giving 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Ducks also need Niacin, but I'm not sure how much. It may be that there's enough in the B-Complex, but I think you can sprinkle a little Brewer's Yeast onto the feed to give them a boost as well.

If she's having balance issues, you may want to just provide her with a deep pan of water so she can soak her bill or whatever it is they do. Swimming may help strengthen the legs, but if she's suffered some neurological damage, she may not be able to manage a swim.

I'll tag in @Miss Lydia and @shawluvsbirds to see if they have better suggestions.

Poor girl!

Even is you don't see wounds or abrasions, sometimes they can suffer internal injuries or just trauma from an attack.

I'd keep her eating/drinking. Poultry Cell is good, but I'd consider giving 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Ducks also need Niacin, but I'm not sure how much. It may be that there's enough in the B-Complex, but I think you can sprinkle a little Brewer's Yeast onto the feed to give them a boost as well.

If she's having balance issues, you may want to just provide her with a deep pan of water so she can soak her bill or whatever it is they do. Swimming may help strengthen the legs, but if she's suffered some neurological damage, she may not be able to manage a swim.

I'll tag in @Miss Lydia and @shawluvsbirds to see if they have better suggestions.
Thank you for taking the time to assist me. I am always grateful for the support and advice I receive on this website and I always make note of it for the future. Unfortunately, she passed away overnight last night. :(

Back
Top Bottom